21

With a scream that I thought would never end, he fell to his demise with a fading shriek of terror until we could no longer hear him. Stella rapidly bound toward me and jumped into my arms for comfort. I heard the snap of a tree branch from across the cavern. I couldn't see anything other than trees, rocks, and shadows. The hairs on my neck stood alert.

Suddenly Arbor's body smashed into mine knocking me out of the way of an oncoming arrow. Stella dove through the air to escape the danger. Our collided bodies rolled towards the chasm. Arbor tipped over the chasm barely catching hold of the ledge. He struggled to hold on as the rocks and soil loosened beneath his grip. Instinctually I reached an arm over the edge grabbing onto his hand to hoist him up.

He gripped back and I started to pull up when another arrow struck the cliffside a few inches from my arm. A hooded figure had emerged from his hiding spot across the gorge. Arbor looked back over his shoulder to see what I was staring at. The man had a bow raised with an arrow knocked and aimed at me.

Arbor's eyes closed with what I think was fear. He whispered to me, "Witch Hunters."

"NO!" I screeched desperately pulling at his arm. Rocks falling away in a crumbling shower. Another arrow nearly missed me as the ground began to heave into a slide.

"Let me go," he whispered.

My heart stopped for a beat and I actually thought what if I let him go? I might be free of the curse. No! I couldn't. What kind of person would I be if I did such a thing to him? If he dies I might die too. The draw of the hunter's bowstring was heard over the abyss.

"Let me go," he urged no longer trying to climb up or gripping back.

"I can't," I screamed at him. My eyes began to leak with tears I didn't understand.

The arrow whizzing through the air met its mark and punctured my arm. With a shameful scream of pain, my hand released on impact as the other held on tighter building with sweat.

"Let go," he screamed at me with renewed anger I had never witnessed him unleash before. He saw the change on my face before I could act. "NO!" His cries couldn't stop me.

"Caeli," I screamed throwing my injured arm in the direction of the hunter.

The magical blast threw the hunter back into the tree line out of sight. The impact and spell disturbed the land further shaking the mountain. The sliding gravel gave way before I could even try to help Arbor. My eyes shut tight as I felt my body fall over the edge into the hollow.

Arbor's arms wrapped tightly around me, trying to shield me, as we plunged through the canyon. The air ripped by us so fast I could feel it burning my skin. I looked at Arbor the wind burning tears in my eyes. He was going to be the last person I ever saw before I died. At least I wasn't going to die alone. Against the might of the wind, I reached my hand to his face forcing him to look at me only to realize he was whispering spells and incantations of protection.

He had hope.

And unexpectedly I was plunged into freezing water. It was startling and the urge to inhale water was all-consuming. An arm enveloped my waist pulling me up. Breaking the surface I painfully sucked in air filling my lungs. I coughed and sputtered trying to overcome my disorientation. He held on to me tightly while I recuperated my nearly scared-to-death heart. I had no idea there was a river at the endless bottom and I couldn't be more thankful now.

The ache in my arm drew my attention to the long arrow protruding from it. As Arbor kept me from floating away I tried to jerk the shaft free. I gritted my teeth and screeched in pain failing to remove it. Arbor took over and snatched it without warning, causing untamed screams to flee my throat. The wound gushed with blood that was quickly rinsed off by the river water.

Arbor tugged at my waist confusing me until I saw the ribbon that had been there mostly for decoration. Taking the black cloth, he wrapped it around the hole in my arm tying a knot in the front to stop the bleeding. My head lay against his chest with relief as we let the river carry us away.

"You saved my life," I wheezed.

"Why didn't you let go? You could have been free of the curse."

"I thought about it. The curse wouldn't allow it," I said through clacking teeth, lying just a bit.

He chuckled in disbelief as his hand came over my jaw slowly trying to rub some warmth into it. I looked into his eyes almost unable to believe I was allowing him to touch me so fondly. It was the curse; I blamed everything between us on the curse.

"You like this?" he asked. The tips of his finger had found their way into my wet tendrils as they massaged soothing circles into my scalp.

I hummed in response allowing my eyes to close and my body to relax in the running water. The chill that was freezing my bones had vanished as I focused on his touch calming my rapid heartbeat.

"Do you not find me attractive at all? Do I not please thy eyes enough for you to look at me?" His tone reflected that of a mischievous nature.

"Yes, I do find you very attractive, Arbor. How could any woman resist your charm?" I teased back opening my eyes and giving him my full attention.

A rare and beautiful smile graced his face that I had never seen before.

His voice kept that light playful tone, "Do I not possess the qualities a woman searches for in a partner?" He raised an arm, shirt soaked trying to display a flex of muscle.

A hardy laugh left my throat. "Oh yes you do, Grand Wizard of the Wood." I couldn't control my giggles.

"Ah, so you agree? I am a strong, handsome, Grand wizard. What more could a woman want in a man?" he asked jovially.

I shook my head back and forth covering my mouth, trying to contain my laughter. "I don't know, seems to me like you have all the best qualities."

His eyebrow quirked at me, his face losing the foolish grin. "Then why does it seem like I can't capture the heart of the girl who is cursed to desire me?" His mood lost its lightness taking a more serious turn.

I stared into his beautiful green eyes unable to find the right answers for him. If I hadn't been cursed to want him would I have wanted him? I would never have pursued him but I knew I would have allowed him to court me. I would swoon like any girl being fawned over by this man.

His lips came down on my blue ones before I even knew what was happening. The curse made kissing him feel like instinct. His soft lips moved against mine as his tongue searched for more that I allowed. Somehow my legs had wrapped around his waist and his tongue found its way down my throat. Lost in the passion growing between us I couldn't tell who pulled away from the other first.