1.1

Travelling to Monaco wasn't really in my plans, but then my brother, Julien was invited to the Laureus World Sports Awards and I just couldn't really reject the possibility to attend such an event. We were never on the best terms thanks to both of our competitive sides, but as he had the chance to bring a plus one, he somehow thought about me. It was nice for a change, after having to live with his sour personality for years. People would probably never think we're somehow connected if our faces wouldn't be exactly the same. I was lucky enough to mostly get our mom's personality traits, but Julien was just a complete copy of our dad with his flat humour and overreacting on everything. Still, I was probably stuck with him for our whole life, as we still tried supporting each other. It was easier said than done, with both of us competing in the same sport, giving us a chance to challenge each other, even though we would never be in the same category in reality. It was just too hard to leave the competition on the field and never bring it home.

„ You ready finally? " I heard Julien from the living room of my hotel room. He came in half an hour ago, stating that we're gonna be late even though we still had an hour to get into a car. Even then, we would probably be early.

„ You were the one who was too early. " I rolled my eyes while clasping my earrings and standing up from the little desk that had all of my makeup and hair stuff on it. „ Does your patience really not exist or is it just me who doesn't deserve any of it? " I asked him as I stepped out of the room and went for one of the bags that had my heels in them.

„ Don't start it. Today should be a calm evening. " He stood up, going for the door while I slid my feet into the shoes and followed him outside as soon as I had my jacket in my hands. I wasn't planning on catching a cold, even though Monaco was usually warm. It was February, and we did catch quite a cold weekend for the event. „ You look good. " He added as I made sure the door was closed but then walked past him, without taking a look at him.

' You're not saving it with that. ' I shook my head at my thoughts, rather just looking forward and calling the elevator as we got to it. Sometimes I hated how cold we could be to each other while just a second later we could joke around with grins on our faces. It was truly a strange friendship with him. I couldn't even call it a usual brother-sister situation. Even if on most days he truly acted like an older brother, looking out for me and making sure I was hurt by anything or anyone. There just should have been more of the latter, in my opinion. „ Is Charles coming? " I asked as we were already on our way down to reception.

„ I think so. He's on break anyway and probably did get an invitation. " I shrugged a little, stepping outside as we arrived and went to get us the car that was promised. „ He said he's gonna text me if he's not coming. Which he didn't do yet, so I'm guessing he will be there. " He checked his phone again, letting me leave the building first after he opened the door. I got my jacket on my shoulders, as my dress was quite open, and followed Julien to the car that was parking next to the building.

He and Charles met at a sports event two years ago, becoming friends instantly. Since then they spent quite some times together, visiting each other in Monaco or France, and even going on vacations when they had a break at the same time. It was quite rare, as the F1 winter break was the main part of our season, leaving only the summer break for them to travel together. Somehow I never really got close to Charles, even though I did spend time with them when they had a plan together or were spending time at our apartment while I still lived with Julien in France. I never had a problem with him, he was a great guy. We just never really connected and needed each other's company when we had the chance to be together.

Ten minutes later we were already at the venue, entering the building without passes, so we could check out everything before we would have to sit down at our tables. It wasn't long before we both got a glass of champagne and found some skiing friends we stopped to talk to. Julien was in the middle of one of his interesting stories, that we probably already heard from him like four times when I spotted Charles coming our way from the other side of the room. I poked my brother on his shoulder to get his attention, almost getting a glare from him in exchange before he spotted his friend and a grin crept onto his face. He still quickly finished his story, before excusing us out of the conversation so we can go to Charles. I didn't really plan on following him but made it visible that he wanted me to be by his side so I won't get lost in the crowd.