(53) Let You Go

Michael

Seeing Caroline in Rae's chambers is a shock to my system. I truly did not think I would see her again. Much less in this kind of situation.

"Caroline, hello." I smile.

Rae looks at me quickly, her eyebrow perked up. She looks at Caroline and then back at me. "O-oh. Oh I see what is going on here." Rae laughs.

"I'm not sure what you mean?" Caroline asks. She watches Rae put baby Henry in his crib.

Rae walks back over and clasps her hands together. She laughs kindly. "Oh come on now. Michael has spoken fondly of you in the past. You two shared a bed once, no?"

Caroline is mortified. As am I. "N-no." She shakes her head.

"Oh please, you are going to be a part of this family now. You can speak freely with me." Rae allows her.

"I-I am ma'am. He and I did not share a bed." She looks at me and shakes her head.

"Oh!" Rae sounds shocked. "Oh well I must have read this situation completely wrong then! I must apologize. I have gotten very bold since having given birth. You will have to excuse me." She walks back over to the baby's crib and stands there, smacking her forehead. "You are both dismissed for the moment. I will send for you once I am ready." She forces a smile to her face as she turns out direction. "Oh, but Michael wait. May I have a word before you go?"

"Of course." I stay behind as the guards allow Caroline to leave.

"Did I just make a fool of myself like I think I did?" She shouts. "That was a nightmare!"

I shake my head. "N-no." I struggle to find words to comfort her. It was quite a bold statement she made. After all, she only just met the poor girl moments before making her red in the face completely.

"Oh god! I did. She will never look at me in the face again! How could I be so stupid. I don't even know what happened! I just saw the way she looked at you and my mouth took over!"

"Caroline and I shared company but we did not share a bed. That is where you were mistaken." I fill her in.

Rae lifts her head, looking me in the eye. "So I was right. She is the girl you were with?"

"That is correct."

"Well," she sighs. "She seems very sweet."

"She is." I glance at my son, smiling as he creates bubbles with his mouth.

"Then as much as it hurts me to say it, you have my permission."

"Permission?" I ask.

"To court her, of course." She joins me at the crib and grabs my hand. "Michael, we both agree that we can never be. The last thing I want is for you to die alone because we are holding on to something that simply will never come. I want you to be happy." She grabs my face and pulls it closer, kissing my forehead softly. "I love you. And for that reason, I am letting you go."

*
Don't forget to vote and comment!!