(7) Ball

Queen Raeanne

Queen Raeanne

Royals and nobles from all over the world dance around me, enjoying their time.

I thought a party would be a fun way to brighten my mood today. I was wrong. Normally, I love a good party. Dancing, food, games, friends, families. It is such a joy. That is not the case today. I was wrong in assuming this would cheer me up even the slightest bit.

Everyone is partying for the wrong reason. I can not feel joy over any of this. Everyone is partying over my inconvenience of having to become queen. They all get to eat wonderful foods and treats because I am forced to sit on the throne and rule at this young age.

This is not how I wanted my life to go. My father should be throwing this party right now. He should be out on the dance floor with my mother, showing everyone what love looks like.

I miss him. His death has done nothing but ruin my life. I am now without a father, ruling a country with absolutely no idea what I am doing or how I am going to manage ruling an entire county of people.

He was so good at his job. How am I possibly going to be able to live up to his legacy?

I do not want to be queen. And if that is not evident enough for you, please go back to previous entries of how much I hate having responsibilities.

A man walks over to me, King of Spain. His hair the most beautiful color brown and his cheeks as red as blood. He holds his hand out to me. "May I have this dance?" He asks politely, bowing before me, waiting for my answer.

I look over to my mother

I look over to my mother. I must not do anything to ruin an alliance we have that I do not know about. I have to be careful what I do and say from this point on. I could start a war just by looking at a noble a funny way.

My mother nods. She leans over to me. "You are set to marry the king in short time. He is the best political option for you to wed to protect our country." She whispers in my ear, low enough I can hardly hear her so I am assured no one else would have heard her words. "Spain is the richest nation in the entire world."

"So that means I have no choice in my husband?" I confirm. Why is it that I never have a choice about anything? Marriage should not be decided for you. I want to pick who I will love. It should not be set up for me. This simply infuriates me how this is going.

My mother shakes her head softly. "It has been planed out for you for nearly a decade." If what my mother said is correct, I have been set to marry this man since I was eight. Who plans a wedding for a girl at the age of eight?!

I sigh and take his hand. I must get our appearances up if I am to marry him. If we do nothing together, the other nobles will think this union is strictly political, which it is, but is looking that way will only bring weakness to both of our countries. For my peoples' sake, I must look good with the king before my wedding.

He pulls me out in to the middle of the dance floor and begin leading me in a dance customary to my people. I smile. How would he know this dance unless he spent all day learning it just for me. This man is dedicated. I appreciate that.

I smile and laugh as he spins me in circles, pausing at one moment to try to remember the next move. He laughs as I turn the roles around and lead him in the next sequence of the dance.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a blonde masterpiece. Michael? Is it really him? Seeing him gives me butterflies all throughout my body.

I slow my speed in the dance and allow the King of Spain to retake the lead.

It is him. I need to speak with him at once. But how will I leave this dance in a polite enough manner to not upset the King's feelings?

The music ends, giving me the perfect opportunity to sneak away.

"If you will excuse me for one moment. My throat is dry." I remove my hand from his.

"Would you like me to fetch you a drink, your highness?" He asks.

I politely decline his offer. "I will fetch it myself. Thank you."

I walk towards the hallway and grab Michael's arm. "Michael?" I ask.

"Rae- my queen- my grace- your grace- um" he struggles to figure out how to address me.

"Rae." I laugh, correcting him as he fumbles with how on earth he is supposed to address me at this time. "What are you doing here? This party is for nobles only. You could get caught!" I warn him.

"I had to see you. I wanted to understand what I just saw outside." He shakes his head. He must be so confused. Yesterday I was a common girl, today I am a queen. I should not have lied to him. Then he would not be confused at all. "Help me understand."

"About that..." I allow my voice to trail off as I search for a room to hide in. I grab his arm and pull him to a service closet and shut the door behind us after making sure no one has seen us enter. If we are seen together, everything will be ruined.

*
Hope you are enjoying this story so far! Please let me know if you see any errors as most of my chapters are roughly edited. Also, let me know if I need more(or less- which I highly doubt but you never know...) length. Thanks so much for reading!!

Any predictions?

Don't forget to vote and comment!!