48 | road of bones

This chapter is a collaboration with sethadler !!

Enjoy!

_______________________________

Marinette stretched her limbs, pushing herself up into a seated position from the couch where she had accidentally fallen asleep with Chat Noir in her arms. After the official fall of Gabriel Agreste, Chat Noir had cried in both agony and in relief—and perhaps his tears were well-needed. He regained his composure shortly afterwards though, and they decided to leave the scene and take a breather in the next room, leaving Nino to tie up all the loose ends of Gabriel's capture. As soon as the jewel was brought back into their possession, and the gang all quietly returned to their new base, Chat Noir collapsed into Marinette's arms and had pinned her into the couch, burying his face into the crook of her neck as he quietly sobbed.

She never did get him to talk, but maybe now, now that everything was over, she could get him to open up to her. But as her sleepy eyes slowly adjusted to her surroundings, Marinette quickly realized that she was alone on the couch. Chat Noir was nowhere to be found. The spot where he'd been lying beside her was already cold, indicating that he had woken up a while ago.

She quickly stood, gathering the attention of both Nino and Felix who happened to be in the room. She hadn't even noticed them at first, but they had been sitting in the corner, quietly talking with one another as if to not disturb her sleep.

"Where's Chat?" She asked in alarm. In an instant, Felix averted his gaze and looked away, whether his actions were filed by guilt or embarrassment, she wasn't sure.

Nino, however, chuckled, and pointed over to where a letter was tacked to the wall. As she neared it and unpinned it, she could clearly make out her name written out in cursive with black ink. She slowly opened the seal of the envelope and pulled out a wrinkled sheet of paper. As she straightened, it only took her a couple of seconds to register the two words that were scribbled there hastily.

I'm sorry.

Marinette gasped, the paper falling from her grasp as she covered her mouth with her hands.

No. No. No! No no no no n—

"What's wrong?" Nino asked, standing up, immediately noticing her distress. His own features were stricken with concern, no longer holding the amusement he'd been expressing prior.

"Where is he?" She begged, tears threatening to spill from her eyes. He never intended to walk away from that fight. He never said that nothing would happen to him. Her mind snapped back to something that he had said when he revealed himself.

It doesn't matter anymore.

"I...I don't know." Nino stuttered out, his voice sounding genuinely confused. He was worried though, she could tell, but so was she.

Marinette looked up, her eyes instantly connecting with Adrien's brother. As soon as their eyes met, Felix looked away. And that was all it took for Marinette's residing anger for his very existence to resurface.

"He knows." Marinette said darkly, pointing at the blonde dressed in white leather. Marinette shouldered past Nino and towards the other blonde. She didn't even give him the opportunity to civilly explain as she shoved him backwards. "Where is he?!" She shouted angrily. Felix grunted with the force and stumbled backwards, but even as he regained his balance, he didn't bother to try and stop her. In fact, he seemed to embrace the violence. It was almost as if he figured he deserved it. That only made Marinette angrier as she shoved him even harder a second time. "Where did Adrien go?!"