41 | realization at its finest

It was suddenly very quiet, way too quiet in fact. The mysterious man who claimed to be the all known thief who stole Paris' most famous jewel had just admitted he was Chat Noir's father. His father.

"Your father?" At first, Marinette wasn't sure on what to think, or what to feel. She had remembered the one time Chat had ever spoken about his father — saying the man had left him and his mother to fend for themselves. Chat Noir explained that his father had been the cause of him becoming a thief, but Chat Noir never mentioned his father was still around — or even alive for that matter.

Did he even know that his father was alive?

"He...." the ravenette pointed her finger in the older man's direction, the tone of disgust laced in her every word. ".....is your father?" Marinette repeated again, her voice only echoing out into the empty building. Everyone was silent, not daring to utter a single word. Even Chat Noir wouldn't dare turn to look her way, nor make a single sound. "But....he's also the chief of command at the police station...." and her words trailed off, the pieces of the puzzle still not seeming to fit together.

"Haha awe," the sad excuse of a father chuckled loudly, nudging the blonde dressed in leather with his elbow. "You didn't tell her?"

"Shut up!" Growled Chat. Not daring to look back at Marinette, he kept his demeaning glare on his father, his growl only intensifying. "You've got no right to say anything! You continue to ruin my life, even when I want to stay away!"

Chucking, the older man side steps Chat, and instead, brings his focus to his previous police officer. "Marinette dear, has Chat Noir not told you? In all honesty, I'd thought you'd be a little less surprised to know it was me the entire time." With a smirk, her ex superior sends his son a cocky glance, only to have Chat Noir growl in return.

Confused beyond belief, Marinette turned to meet Chat's eyes — despite she could not find them — and raised an eyebrow. "Chat? What is he talking about?"

However, Chat Noir remained silent and his gaze stayed far away from hers.

The older man laughed loudly, his crackles echoing throughout the empty, somewhat spooky, building. "Pathetic," spat the man to his son, "You didn't fall through with the entire plan."

And suddenly, everything clicked. It was as if someone had somehow flicked on a switch inside her brain, and suddenly Marinette knew all the answers. Realization hit harder than she'd ever thought it could, because now, the ravenette has just discovered who indeed the traitor was.

"You...?" Marinette didn't want to believe it. She didn't want to believe she had put almost all of her trust into someone who was once again coming to stab her in the back. "You were on his side this entire time..? Everything we've been through...." she took a step back from him, unable to allow the thoughts to fully sink into her brain. "....was a lie?"

Chat Noir gaze suddenly softened, and he took a step forward, in hopes she wouldn't run away from him again. "No, Marinette. None of it was a lie." His emerald, green eyes held sadness and hurt as he tried to explain his mistakes to her. "If you just let me explain—"

"How else would I have gotten all the insights, hmm?" Asks the older man, completely cutting his son off and catching all of Marinette's attention. "It was all acting dear, everything he or anyone else here ever did was an act."

Tears began to fall from her eyes, and Marinette desperately tried hold them back as she met her partner's eyes. "Is that true?" She asks him, not wanting to believe that once again he had found a way to crush her heart. Just when she had thought that maybe he'd be the one, Chat Noir would strike with hurtful words and backstabbing actions. "Was it really just a game to you this entire time? That the whole time you were helping me, was just a way for you to spy on me?"

"No!" Chat quickly denied, "It was much more than just that!"

Unconvinced, Marinette only shook her head. This hadn't been the first time Chat Noir had betrayed her, hurt her with his words, or completely just stabbed her in the back. It seemed that still he could never learn from his previous actions, or maybe it was because he never cared for her to begin with.

Sighing, Chat Noir takes another step closer to her. "I'll admit it Marinette, at first, it was meant to be where I shouldn't care." His soft, calm voice had her somewhat relax, yet, she knew it was only his way of trying to cover up his lies. "But then I got to know you after you healed my wound, and you intrigued me. Me helping you with this case was genuine."

Scoffing, Marinette met his gaze once again. A hard glare of betrayal  and hatred for her partner reflected from her orbs. "Genuine? If it was genuine, you would have told me from the beginning that your father was the thief!" She takes a few steps away from him, the distance only breaking Chat Noir's heart even more than it already was. "You literally brought your mother to the police station, and your father stood right there! Before us! And you said nothing!"

"Because I couldn't!" Defended Chat, his chest heaving heavily as he shouted back at her. "It was a choice I had to make for my mother's sake! I knew what I was up against, but he promised he'd help me from the beginning....before I even met you." Chat Noir then turned to look back at his father, his green orbs sending their death glares to his father's grey ones. "Now pay up," growls Chat. "You said you could help my mother."

Chuckling, the old man's gaze fixates on the ravenette. "It's a bit late for that, my son." With a raised eyebrow, his eyes lock with hers immediately, "Isn't that right, Marinette?"

Now put on the spot, Marinette averted her gaze away from his. How the old man knew his wife had passed, she didn't know, but the worst part of it all was that Chat Noir still had no clue. The two of them had been so caught up with one problem after the other after he stormed out of her house, that she hadn't found the proper time to spill out the news.

Chat turned to look back of her, a look of confusion spread across all his features. "What is he talking about, Marinette?" He asks her, a shiny of worry laced in his tone.

He seems concerned. Almost concerned for her. And it saddened her knowing that after she told him the horrid news, he would no longer feel that way.

Chat Noir would once again hate her for keeping such news from him. He would scowl at her, frown, cry out and shout at her. Little would he know that she had only been waiting for the right time and the right place to properly tell him his mother had left this world.

"I'm sorry, Chat. But—but....your mother....she—she passed away."

___________________________________

Yes! Finally I have updated.

How are my fellow readers doing?

I mean, I got. D+ now in one of my classes because our teacher wasn't here so we couldn't turn in our assignment. And she gives me a zero on it even though I did it.
┫`⌒'┣━━━━● *ᴛᴇᴀᴄʜᴇʀ*

Anyway, my friend got a zero too, so we're both pissed. She's making calls to see if we can get our A+ back.

{ votes, comments, and shares are highly appreciated }

Thanks!
Dippy!