1 | first day in paradise

Marinette pulled her luggage from the belt once they had came into view. She sighed, momentarily pulling her phone out from her coat pocket to check the time. Four in the evening, it had read. Her parents were still asleep.

She sighed sadly, reminding herself that she still couldn't call to let her parents know she had arrived safely. She knew that it was too late back in England to call; she wasn't cruel to where she would purposely disrupt their sleep.

She stuffed her phone back inside her coat pocket and took ahold of both handles on her suitcases, lifting them from the belt. The wheels hit the floor, and she wheeled both suitcases behind her as she tried to find her away around the airport.

"Excuse me?" Marinette asked the guard who seemed to be on his lunch break. He had seated himself by the benches where some people used to wait for others. Upon hearing her voice, he immediately caught onto her British accent, and turned to face her with a wide smile. "Do you know where I can find the Parish Police Station?

"Yes ma'am," he nodded, setting his sandwich aside so that he could stand to his feet. "Take the exit down the hall to your left," he directed, pointing down the large room. "And the cabs will be waiting to pick anyone up. Tell one where you'd like to go."

Marinette was satisfied with his help. Smiling out of politeness, she replied, "Thank you," and then gave him a small wave as she turned on her heel.

However, he shouted after her, "Love your accent by the way!"

She outwardly cringed at his comment, momentarily pausing in place so that she wouldn't bump into anyone as she squeezed her eyes shut. Her back was turned to him, and she prayed he hadn't noticed her shoulders rise into her collarbone.

Marinette really did despise her accent. She hated how, because she was British, everyone seemed to flock around her as if she was a treasure to be admired. She had gotten the trait from her parents and from the people around her. There was nothing special about it. It all came from England, and all the memories she had there bothered her greatly.

Everyone she met who wasn't like her always seemed to make such a big deal over her strong accent. Either how they liked it so much, because they had never heard something like it before, or how it so different from what they were used to hearing.

But to Marinette, it was nothing special. Nothing special at all.

She ignored him, not bothering to turn around and say thank you. She hoped he didn't take her for someone who was normally rude, but she was in no mood to discuss her accent with a stranger. Marinette continued her stroll in the direction the guard had pointed out for her, pulling her luggage slowly behind her as she searched for the exit.

When Marinette finally made it outside, she was greeted by multiple taxis out on the curb waiting to pick up passengers. She watched as other people who had just exited the building as well rushed into an available empty cab. Marinette looked between them all, confusion written all over her face.

"Do you need any help, miss?" A man called out to her, and her eyes quickly landed on a cab that had its window rolled down. A friendly man with a wide smile spread across his lips waved in her direction. "You seem to be a bit lost."

She sent him a small smile and made her way over to his open window. He waved at her when she finally stood in front of him. "Hello sir," she greeted him back. "I suppose I am a bit lost."

"Where are you off to?" He asked, sitting back to grip his wheel. "I can take you there myself if you prefer."

"That would be great," she smiled, letting her beautiful white teeth shine through for the first time in her visit.