30 | regrets and wishes

Hey guys, please keep my friend rockanddancer  in your thoughts. She lives in Puerto Rico, and they were just hit by another category five hurricane. It covered the entire island, and as we speak, the whole island is without power. I also have family there, so please just keep them all in your thoughts. With no way to reach them, we have no idea if they're okay.

__________________________

Marinette didn't take Chat's mother to the hospital under his request. Instead, she took them both to her own apartment. Marinette didn't hesitate to lead Chat to her bedroom and insist he lay his mother on her own bed. It had been a while since Chat had stepped into this bedroom, and to see his mother laying awfully ill on the bed he once shared a laugh with Marinette in made him feel even more awful.

Marinette had placed her hand on his mother's forehead, immediately pulling it away at the burning feeling. It was scorching hot, and by the worried look on Marinette's face, Chat knew it was not a good sign. His mother was burning up, and quick.

What Chat had come to realize upon getting to know Marinette is that the girl always seemed to be prepared for anything. Under her bed, Marinette reached for an old doctor's kit she had brought with her from England. Something she hadn't exactly told anyone about.

Chat watched carefully as she opened it up, and pulled out an almost brand new stethoscope. While Marinette slung it over her neck, Chat quietly asked, "You...you have a doctor's kit?"

She took one glance up at him, and their eyes suddenly locked upon meeting. It had been quite a lot of time since either of them had seen each other, let alone had a normal conversation. The last conversation they had shared was Chat's accusation of her being the enemy. "I never got rid of it." She admitted lowly, "I can forgive the past, but I can't forget it."

That last statement was meant to have a double meaning. Not only did that mostly refer to Damon and his awful self, but part of that was related towards Chat Noir, and he felt it. He knew they had separated as partners because of the rough patch and his ridiculous accusation. He knew he had hurt her feelings greatly, yet, here she was, tending to a woman she knew nothing about because he didn't seem to trust her enough to tell her.

He still wondered to himself why he kept his mother a secret from her for so long?

"I know this isn't the best time for this," he begins as he still stands under the doorway, watching as the she places the ear pieces of the stethoscope into her ears and places it at his mother's heart. "But I need to apologize for what I said."

At this, Marinette pauses for just a second to look up at him, and he takes that signal to continue, "What I said, what I accused you of, was so uncalled for." He admitted. "Everything I said back there was all out of anger. I meant none of it, and I just wanted you to know that I'm so sorry for hurting your feelings. I know you're not the bad guy here."

The bluenette stared at him for a little longer, their eyes still locked together before a small smile soon began to form on her lips, and she nodded. "I already forgave you, Chat Noir." And then her eyes had drifted back to his mother, "And you're right, this isn't the best time to talk about this. But I do want to have this conversation soon."

He nods in understanding as Marinette continues to listen to his mother's heart. After a couple more seconds of moving the stethoscope around his mother's chest, Marinette pulls it away from her ears and let's it rest around her neck once again. She then turns back to look Chat Noir in the eyes, and the look she gives him is the only answer he needs.

His mother is dying.

"I'm sorry, Chat." Marinette sets her stethoscope aside, sniffling as she adds, "Your mother isn't going to live much longer. I'm sorry there isn't anything more I can do."

He looks up at her just in time to see tears falling down from Marinette's beautiful blue-bells eyes. The sudden thought of Marinette crying made Chat feel even worse, and he quickly dashed to her side to wrap his arms comfortably around her for a hug. "Don't cry, Marinette. You did all you could. I knew this day would come soon."

Marinette turns to him and buries her face into his chest, her crying growing even more. Chat kept his arms around her, stroking her back lovingly as an attempt to calm her down. But still, Chat still couldn't wrap his mind around it. He still didn't understand why Marinette cared so much.

Chat rests his chin on the top of her head and sighs, "Marinette, if you're thinking this is your fault, it's not."

"Oh, b-b-but i...it is." She continues to sob.

He shakes his head, "If this is anyones fault, it's mine."

Marinette sniffles, and unintentionally snuggles deeper into Chat Noir's chest, mumbling softly, "How is it y-your f-f-fault?"

"I should've taken my mother to the hospital," he explains with a disappointed sigh, "Why I didn't, I still don't understand. I think it was because I had this thing set in my head that she would miraculously heal."

"I wish there was m-more I could do," Marinette mumbles.

Chat Noir sighs once again as he continues to rub her back in comforting circles. By now, Marinette's sobbing had subsided, and hiccups had replaced it. But Chat didn't mind at all, oh not at all. Because this girl — no matter what kind of quirks she had — was perfect in his eyes.

"This is why I quit being a d-doctor," mumbled Marinette, her face still buried deep into his chest, "I can't handle death like this. I-it's too much....."

Chat Noir raised an eyebrow slightly as he continued to rub her back softly, "What do you mean?" He asks softly, his chin still resting on the top of her head.

Marinette finally removed her head from his chest to look up and stare into his beautiful emerald eyes. "You know that conversation I wanted to have soon?" He nods. "I think we need to have it now."

__________________________

Updated a bit sooner for ya. Enjoy! I look forward to your feedback!!

{ votes, comments, and shares are highly appreciated }

Thanks!
-Dippy