4 | friends are remedies

The next morning, Marientte woke up feeling a lot better than the night before. Probably having a nice home-cooked meal really helped.

As Marinette made her way towards the kitchen, Alya was already in front of the stove cooking breakfast for the both of them.

Marinette frowned once again at the sight. "You know, you don't have to do everything for me."

Alya turned to look over her shoulder and smiled, "Let me do stuff for you girl, you need to get your mind off of your stress."

"Girl?" Marinette raised a confused brow, the nickname clearly taking her by surprise.

Alya turned looked over her shoulder again, raising an eyebrow in equal confusion. "Um yeah?"

"Um..."

"You do identify as a girl, right?"

"What? I mean, yeah! That's not what I meant... but—" Marinette was cut off by the sound of Alya's laughter.

"Relax Marinette, I was messing with you. That's just a nickname I use for my female friends, okay?"

Marinette's eyes widened. First of all, Alya calling her a friend took the her by surprise. Marinette barely had any friends back at home, let alone did she think she would ever make any here. But now, her new colleague, Alya Césaire, wanted to be her friend?

"You, want to be friends... with me?" Marinette asked, the emotion of surprise written all over her features. "Why?"

"Why not?" Alya quizzed back, walking around and over to the dinning table to place a plate of breakfast in front of the confused ravenette. "You seem nice, chill even. Besides, we'll be working together and living together. Why not be more than just acquaintances?"

"I guess so," Marinette replied unsurely. Having friends was something Marinette wasn't very experienced in. Out of her whole lifetime, she'd only had one close friend, and what a disaster that turned out to be.

"You don't seem like you like that idea," By the time Marientte had realized how unenthusiastic she sounded, a frown had already consumed Alya's lips, "Do you not want to be friends?"

Marinette's eyes widened, her head jerking up to meet the brunette's eyes. "What? No-no... I-didn't— I mean, of course we can be friends!"

To spare her feelings, of course.

"Are you sure?" Alya questioned, an unsure expression still written across her features. "I mean, you don't have to—"

"I'm sure," Marinette interrupted, though it had been a sudden decision. "We can be friends. I'm sorry. I'm just not used to people wanting to be my friend."

And that wasn't a lie.

Alya tilted her head to the side. "Oh-um okay."

"Let's just... forget this topic." Marinette suggested, taking a bite of the food Alya had prepared for her.

Alya simply shrugged her shoulders and nodded. Siting down in the seat across from her new roommate, she took a bite out of her own food too before replying, "So, um, I wasn't sure if you'd like me to bring this up or not... but I couldn't help but notice your accent..."

Marinette immediately tensed. She had a feeling this was bound to happen sooner of later. She knew eventually Alya would question her strong accent.

"I can tell you don't like talking about it," Alya added before the ravenette could deny or say anything against it. "The way your shoulders tensed up when I mentioned it clearly proves it."

"Sorry..." Marinette sighed guilty. She was actually surprised that Alya had noticed, and acknowledged, her reaction. Most people who were curious and asked about her accent never really noticed how it affected her. "It's just a really touchy subject... that's all."

"That's fine," Alya shrugged, and it surprised Marinette the most that the brunette didn't seem offended at all or tried to push it. Instead, Alya took another bite of her food before looking back up at the ravenette and adding, "I'll just have to wait until you're ready to spill the beans."

Mairnette didn't expect Alya to add that, and her eyes widened, "Wha...? No I—" her protest failed when Alya held up a finger to her own lips and giggled.

"Calm down," Alya giggled, causing a confused expression to wash over Marinette's face. "This is how I am... how a true friend acts. You've just got a lot to get used to."

Marinette offered her a nervous smile in return. She wasn't sure how to handle all of this new friend stuff.

The two girls continued to eat their breakfast, even though Marinette had officially lost her appetite.

_______________________________

Just a chapter to help build their friendship more before trouble rises. I know it's a bit short.

Question:
                  Why do you think Marinette hates her accent so much?

Comment your answer👆

Vote?
Comment?
Share?

Vote?Comment?Share?

Thanks!