37 | its like morse code

Marinette had never felt so empty in her life before. The bluenette had only moments ago called her parents to inform them she'd be flying back to England to hopefully come back home, also in hopes that she'd find a suitable job to sustain her for the time being while she was in search for a new apartment.

But when she had spoken to her parents, they were furious with her decision and were very disappointed. They demanded to know why she was suddenly leaving her job as a police officer after she had worked so very hard for such a position, to simply just come back home. Marinette listened sadly as her parents pretty much bashed her for becoming such a quitter.

"First you quit being a surgeon, next you're giving up being a police officer!" Her mother wailed from the other line, and each word pained Marinette to hear. She could clearly feel the disappointment in her mother's voice, and it bothered her greatly.

She really was a disappointment.

"What is it this time that's making you quit, Marinette?" Her father demanded to know. "Is it another man you're letting creep under your skin?"

"It's about time you grew a backbone!" She heard her mother add from behind her father's booming voice, and Marinette almost shed tears of her own as she listened to her mother's faint cries and frustrated wails.

"There's no man, papa." Marinette almost dreaded lying to her parents, but at this point, telling the truth would do no good for any of them. "I just....I miss home, and you guys, and I could still be a police officer in England....."

"You were so excited to be flying to Paris France when you were called," her father interrupted her by an inch, "Why would you all of a sudden have concern for missing us and your true home?"

Marinette frowned sadly, "I've always missed you guys and home. Why would you think-?"

"This is merely only the third time you have called us since you've been away, Marinette." Sabine whimpered, practically cutting off her husband and interrupting her own daughter.

Her father cleared his throat, as if an attempt to try and clear the tension. "Just come home when you can, Marinette. We'll be awaiting for your arrival."

An uneasy feeling passed its way through Marinette's gut, and she almost hesitated to answer her own father. Something about the way he had just spoken that last sentence bothered her for some odd reason. It almost sounded insincere.

But, despise her uneasiness, a smile soon found its way to her lips. It had been quite a while since Marinette smiled, and actually had a reason to. "Thank you, papa."

"Of course, my dear." Came his reply, and Marinette's smile only grew at the sound of the sincerity in his voice this time around.

After exchanging goodbyes with both of her parents, Marinette ended the call reluctantly. She hated lying to her parents, and worse, she hated feeling like a disappointment to them. To them, their daughter only seemed to be a weak woman who couldn't even stick with one job. Their daughter couldn't seem to stick with a true, honest, man who could truly love her either.

And Marinette was for certain she had found that man before.

But not anymore.

As she waited for her flight to be called, Marinette had taken a seat in the chairs available for waiting passengers. With only one carry on bag and the rest of her luggage sent on the belts long ago, Marinette dreadfully plugged in her earbuds to drown out the world.

The music from her phone found its way to drown out the sounds of loud chattering from other people. Soon, the only sounds Marinette could hear were the lyrics of her favorite song blasting through her eardrums. Maybe this was the sort of comfort she needed, that sort of comfort she had been looking for. Maybe music really was the cure to all of your problems.