12

"Another Black, eh?" There was a long silence. "SLYTHERIN!" Applause broke out from the Slytherin table. The Marauders expected Sirius to be upset and were shocked when they saw a smile on his face.

"Sirius. He's a Slytherin."

"I know." He grinned.

"Then why are you happy?"

"Because." Sirius smiled. "The hat hesitated."

-

The start of year feast had finished and the boys were back in their dorm, unpacking their things.

James took out a sweater and began to fold it when his mind wandered back to Elizabeth. In frustration, he scrunched it up and threw it at the door.

Sirius and Remus were confused. Their friend was on the verge of tears and they had no idea why.

"James, mate. Whats wrong?" Sirius approached him, placing a hand on his shoulder softly.

"I- I miss her so much." He stammered, a single tear fell down his cheek.

"Who?" Sirius asked.

"Lizzy. Lizzy." He sniffled.

"Re, do you know a Lizzy?"

Remus was about to open his mouth to say something but was cut off by James. "NO! She's- she's gone." James cried.

"Who is this Lizzy, James?" Remus asked.

"My- my sister."

"You have a sister?" Sirius raised an eyebrow.

"Not anymore." His voice wavered. "And she's never coming back, is she?"

"I-" Remus couldn't think of anything to say to comfort him. So he just pulled him in for a tight embrace. "I'm here for you, James."

Sirius joined in the hug. "We both are. If you need anything,"

"Boys? Can we come in?" A voice said, followed by a knock.

"No!" Sirius shouted.

"Yeah." Said James.

Sirius gave him an Are You Sure? look and he nodded.

"So can we come in or not?" Marlene's muffled voice was heard.

"Hold on a minute, I'm coming!" Sirius exclaimed in frustration as he reached the door. He unlocked it and let the girls in.

"Hey Sirius. James. Remus. Peter....is asleep. Why is he always sleeping?" Marlene signed.

"Dunno." Remus shrugged.

The girls went and sat on the beds. Marlene on Sirius's, Alice on Remus's. And they sat down quick so that Lily would have to sit on James's bed. But as she approached him, she noticed that his eyes were puffy and red.

"Are you okay, James?"

"I'm fine, Evans." He grumbled. James wiped his tears with his sleeve and went to the bathroom to wash his face with cold water.

Lily knew something was wrong but she didn't want to poke the bear. She could tell he wasn't okay and that he needed some space.

When he returned, everyone was laughing and talking, so he pushed it aside and joined in the fun.

-

It was a week later now, and James was feeling much much better. He occasionally had these phases where he would fall into a pit of sadness and be depressed for a week or two but Sirius and Remus had unknowingly helped him out before he even fell in this time.