☼ B I R T H D A Y

From: Sarah

Happy birthday, Lexi! You're finally eighteen, young Padawan! XD

From: Matty Healy (aka Matthew :P)

Happy birthday Alexis Isobel Hamilton (yes I did that just to annoy you)

From: Code-ayeeee

Hppy bday loozr

(ik how much u h8 spellng erors)

From: duG

Happy birthday you're finally legal now you can hook up with like a teacher or something unless you want me to take your virginity just kidding El would kill me anyway happy birthday lex !!!

From: Christofer .-.

Happy birthday, L to the E to the X. You're finally eighteen - how special! Go suck a helium balloon and pretend it's Jace ;)

From: A-damn

Happy birthday Lexi. (Btw thanks for the Christmas present :D)

From: Sister from the same mister

Happy birthday ding dong. Finally an adult, how cute! I'm happy to have you as a little sister, though. Seriously, have a good day. Visit soon! Jason and Allison miss you (so does Jeremy, it just tears him apart that you're not around)

From: Future husband (aka Jace) :*

Hi, dumb ass. So, I'm assuming you just found out that I changed my contact name in your phone (I did it while you were asleep Christmas Eve). I remembered that time when we were little and I said I was your knight in shining armor, and you claimed that you'd rather marry a knight than a prince any day *cue excessive winking and eyebrow wiggling* Anyway, I know I'm picking you up at six for dinner, but I thought I'd like to have a nice text for you to wake up to. Happy birthday, best friend. I'm going to try to avoid theatrics and save the waterworks for a better day, maybe graduation - but for now, I just want you to know I love you and I can't imagine not having you in my life. (I know, I know - I sous incredibly feminine right now. Don't make fun of me).

By the way, those gifts everyone gave you for Christmas? Wear them tonight. :)

••••

I grinned widely at each text, sending different, individual responses to each person. I was incredibly grateful to have everyone in my life.

After I pressed the send button a final time, I threw my comforter off of me and traipsed down the stairs. I was greeted by the scent of bacon and the ridiculous sight of my dad wearing an apron and oven mitts.

"Dad?" I said, keeping my laughter restrained - barely. He turned around with wide eyes.

"Oh, no! You're awake!" He dropped a pan onto the counter and tossed off the mitts. He ran towards me and engulfed me in a hug. This time, I laughed aloud.

"Any particular reason for the display of affection?" I wondered, giving him a lopsided smile.

"My little girl is eighteen!" He cried, ever the dramatic father. "I can't believe this. I wanted breakfast to be done by the time you woke up, but your mother had to run out and get some more pancake mix since I messed up on the first three tries."

"Dad," I felt my heart swell. It was such a sweet gesture. "I don't say it enough, but I love you and mom so much."

"Aw, honey. We're just trying to make this birthday special, considering you were sick on your sixteenth and you broke your arm on your thirteenth." He rolled his eyes as he recalled my 13th birthday.