Epilogue

One of the Guys
Epilogue

••••

"Jace!" I called, gripping the empty box of Lucky Charms in my hand. He poked his head around the wall, shooting me a guilty smile. "You ate all of my cereal!"

"I'm a growing boy." He winked and came up to me, wrapping his arms around my waist. I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"You're twenty-two, moron." I reminded him, pecking him quickly on the lips.

Sometimes I forgot that Jace and I weren't teenagers anymore. We still saw all of our friends from high school every weekend, and our parents lived less than an hour away from our apartment.

Both Jace and I attended the University of Miami, along with Cody and Parker.

Sometimes I was surprised that Cody and Parker actually worked out. The confusion from that wore off when the shock of finding out that Parker was pregnant arrived. Cody and children seemed like a bad combination, but ever since baby Dahlia was born, he's been an amazing father.

None of our other friends were married or had kids. El and Doug broke up, but once high school ended, he decided to find a nice college girl to settle down with. He's been dating a girl named Selena for a year and a half.

Chris and Adam began dating senior year, after they came out to their parents, who took it very well. Chris and Adam were still together and shared in apartment, although they were the only two of our friends to move out of state. When they moved out, they had said that Los Angeles was calling to them.

Matthew and Sarah unfortunately broke up a year ago. I had been shocked, and frankly, upset. I had grown extremely close to Sarah over the years, and I loved that they were together.

They decided to break up due to the stress of college. They said they'd consider getting back together after they graduated. They remained good friends and neither have dated since they split.

Jace and I were still together obviously and I couldn't imagine breaking up with him. I'd be heartbroken if we did.

••••

"I can't believe you want to go surfing today. It's going to rain." I looked out the car window, eyeing the gray sky.

"Not until six, it's only three. At least, that's what the forecast said." He parked the car at the familiar area we called The Hangout. "Besides, we haven't gone surfing since August. It's already April."

I rolled my eyes but got out of the car anyway. I was already wearing my wetsuit, so I didn't need to change.

He grabbed both our boards and I frowned. I was a grown woman, I could do it myself.

"Jace, I'll carry my own." I reached out, but be stepped back.

"I'm being chivalrous. Allow me to do this, m'lady." He winked and I had to refrain from rolling my eyes again.

We continued onwards until we reached the water. He set mine down first and helped me climb aboard. He then sat on his own and I was struck by how good of a boyfriend he was.

I knew he was amazing, but there were moments where he did little things that made me feel so special and loved. He was the love of my life, as cheesy as that sounded.

"I'll race you." He grinned deviously and I probably reflected his smile.

He hit the water and we were off, swimming and racing, acting like children. He beat me of course, but I laughed anyway.

We spent the rest of the day surfing, at least, until it started getting dangerously dark. Then we got out of the water, sticking our boards into the sand and walking to the car. We sat inside and ate sandwiches I made earlier in the morning, chatting between bites.