☼ O B L I V I O N

"You told Jace you were busy?" Sarah sounded more angry than ever before. "You're not busy, though! Ugh, I can't believe you Lexi. Why didn't you go with him to the airport?"

I bit my lip. Jace had left for the airport today with his family, seeing as Thanksgiving was tomorrow. It had always been a tradition between us that we would go with one another to drop the other off. Today, however, I'd been too much of a coward and made up some excuse about how I had to help out around the house and I couldn't go with Jace. I'd told him over the phone, and although he tried to sound fine, I knew he was upset. He could tell I was lying.

Sarah was not my ideal person to talk to about this, but neither was my sister. I didn't want anyone else to know about my feelings, so I was forced to trust in Sarah.

"I couldn't do it, Sarah. I need to get over him." Now that I knew I was in love with Jace, I needed to get over him now more than ever.

"Why? You were fine with liking him a few weeks ago. What changed?" Sarah had managed to pick up on the fact that Jace and I were being a bit distant. It had been nearly a month since the kiss, yet it was still all I could ever think about.

"Sarah, you have to promise you won't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you. Not even Matthew." I demanded.

"Scouts honor." She promised through the phone. I could practically imagine her holding up three fingers. Or is it two? I don't know.

"Jace and I...we kissed." I whispered the last word, too nervous to say it any louder. I was in my bedroom, but I still felt as if someone was listening in on our conversation.

"What did you say?" She asked. "Can you repeat that?"

"Jace and I kissed." I repeated, slightly louder.

"I heard you the first time, I just wanted to hear it again. My OTP kissed!" She squealed. I sighed. "This is amazing. When did it happen? How? Where?"

I told her every detail and she made many different noises as the story progressed. When I finished, she let out what I can only describe as a growl.

"He did not say that! I can't believe him." She muttered something else, but I couldn't hear it. "I can't believe he'd initiate something like that and be a douche bag afterwards."

"Yeah." I mumbled. I played with a loose fray on my jean shorts.

"Lexi, if I'm going to be honest, I think you should just call him and talk it over. See what was going through his mind." She suggested and I pursed my lips.

There was the risk of ruining our friendship and losing the last shred of dignity I was clinging on to, but it seemed like the logical thing to do.

"Okay."

I'd call him tomorrow. He was on the plane now, and by the time he landed, it would be about two in the morning in Miami.

Tomorrow. I'll do it tomorrow.

••••

"Get up, sleepy head!" A voice sing-songed, and I felt a pillow hitting my head.

I opened my eyes and looked up, seeing my sister standing above me, Jason on her hip. She was smiling and she winked at me.

"It's Thanksgiving. We have to make pies!" She cheered. Even after having a baby, she was excited to make Thanksgiving pies. I rolled my eyes, covering my head with a pillow. "I'll be waiting downstairs. Hurry up!"

It was a tradition that every year, Melissa and I would make an assortment of pies for Thanksgiving. We started it when we're little, and we've done it ever since.

I looked at the clock beside my bed and noticed that it was 11:23 a.m. I groaned and sat up, not quite ready to get out of bed yet.

I saw my phone on the nightstand and reached for it. It was now or never.

I took and deep breath before pressing #2 in my speed dial, calling Jace. I remember he used to complain about how he wasn't #1, but I told him that #1 was reserved for voicemail. He whined anyway, so I instead reminded him that first is the worst, and second is the best. He'd smiled broadly after that.

"Hello?" A feminine voice answered and I felt my throat close.

Relax, Lexi. Maybe it's just a cousin or something.

"Um, hi." I greeted weakly. "Is Jace there?"

"He's in the shower. May I ask who this is?" The girl wondered from the other side of the phone. I coughed.

"It's, uh, Lexi." I felt the need to show the girl who I was in Jace's life. "Jace's best friend."

"Oh, you." The girl sounded slightly frustrated. "I'm Melanie, Jace's first girlfriend."

I froze. Jace would definitely not date a cousin. Oh, God. Jace's first girlfriend was in Jace's grandparents house, while he took a shower, presumably hanging out with him. They must still be close enough if she was answering his phone.

I remember when we were in about eighth grade and Jace called me to tell me he finally had a first girlfriend. I'd congratulated him, and he'd raved on and on about the beautiful blonde. I hadn't really listened after the first five minutes, but it seemed as if he'd actually liked her back then.

He'd been in California for that summer, and him and the girl had dated for nearly the whole break. Right before he came back, though, he'd called me and told me that they had broken up.

Apparently, Melanie had gotten upset that Jace was constantly talking about me, and calling and texting me. She had told him that he had to choose between me or her, and when he'd chosen me, she dumped him in anger.

I never heard anything about her after that day, so I'd assumed Jace was done with her. I guess I was wrong.

"Oh." I gulped. "If you could tell Jace to calls when he's done, I'd appreciate it."

"Sure thing." She said sweetly. Almost too sweetly. "But, I mean, I can take a message for him if you want."

"You're not his secretary." I snapped, and immediately felt bad afterwards. This girl had never done anything bad to me before. "I'm sorry, I really am. I'm just having a bad day. Thanks, but no thanks. Just tell him to call me please."

"Okay, no problem." It sounded as if she was talking through her teeth. "Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and brushed my hair before heading downstairs in my pajamas. I entered the kitchen, trying my hardest to shove my jealousy away. It wasn't working very well.

"Hey, Lex. Hand me that pan, will you?" Melissa gestured to a pan on the counter and I picked it up and have it to her.

Jason and Allison were sitting in high chairs, watching us as we worked. I suddenly wished to be young and innocent again, oblivious to the word and to love.

Like that lyric from Mayday Parade: Don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose.

I helped Melissa bake the pies and after my parents had finished Thanksgiving dinner and it was time to eat, we all sat at the dining room table.

When asked what I was thankful for, I said oblivion, because sometimes, oblivion is just so much better than knowledge.

My family shared curious glances, avoiding my eyes, and I sensed that they knew. They knew about my feelings for Jace, and they knew something was wrong.

Needless to say, no one talked about Jace that night.

••••