☼ D E T E N T I O N

I hate U.S. History. It is probably one of the most boring classes I've ever had. My teacher, Mr. Hewitt, is ancient - seriously, he has to be at least 80 years old - and always speaks in monotone.

Normally, I have Cody, Chris, and Matthew in this class, but Cody and Matthew are both gone, for different reasons. Cody is gone for some track meet while Matthew is just sick. He probably caught the flu from Sarah.

Chris is asleep beside me and I can understand why. I'm nodding off too just listening to Mr. Hewitt rant about the Civil War.

"Hamilton, seeing as you're falling asleep, you must know all about this subject. When did the American Civil War end?" Mr. Hewitt called on me and I mentally punched him in the face. Why didn't he pick Chris?

"Well, Mr. Hewitt," I begin, biding my time. What can I say? I'm a procrastinator. "I can almost guarantee that the Civil War ended after it began."

Some students snorted while others tried to restrain their laughter. Mr. Hewitt, however, was not at all amused by my answer.

"A date, Hamilton." He barked sternly.

"Sorry, Mr. Hewitt. I'm more into guys my age and I'm pretty sure your wife wouldn't appreciate me going out with you." I replied with a slight smirk. I know I'm just asking for trouble, but hey, he's giving me too many opportunities. This is why you don't call on Lexi Hamilton.

"Considering the fact that you're being a complete nuisance, how about you make a date with Mrs. Daughtry in detention this evening?" Hewitt snapped, taking out a detention slip from his desk. It was only a month into my senior year and I was going to my second detention. Mom and dad will not be happy about this.

"I consider that more of an opinion." I retort with a straight face. I think that's why some people finally released their laughter.

I wasn't usually a trouble maker, but when an opportunity showed itself for me to be a smart ass, I seized it. It's just who I am.

Finally, Mr. Hewitt seemed to be irritated enough to stop talking to me. He continued droning on about the Civil War and when he asked Bridgett West when the war ended, she got it right. Who even remembers things like that?

••••

"So, guys, guess what Lexi got herself into today?" Chris said to the table as a way of greeting when we entered the cafeteria for lunch.

"My pants?" Jace phrased it as more of a question.

"Good one." I answered sarcastically. He just grinned and took a swig of his water.

"No, she actually got detention from Hewitt. She was being a smart ass and seeing as how he hates her, he gave her a detention almost immediately." Chris' eyes were wide with excitement.

Every time one of use gets a detention, it's basically a rule that the other guys have to get a detention too so that we're not alone in a silent room for two hours. We usually drive Mrs. Daughtry crazy, but it's worth it.

"This is why you're the only female we care to associate with." Doug smiles and gives me a high five. I chuckle and shrug.

Since Matthew and Cody are both absent, it's only going to be Doug, Chris, Jace, and I in detention together. Unlike most students who hate detention, I'm sort of looking forward to it. These guys can make it interesting.

I text my mom and tell her I have a detention, knowing that if I tell her first, I'll get less of a punishment. My mom is more lenient about these sort of things than my dad. Of course, their both pretty laid back and cool, but they do know how to discipline me.

Mama Bear: Do you want to be grounded for two weeks or do you want to lose beach privileges for a month?

I groan at her message. Neither option is particularly wonderful.

If I choose to be grounded, that means I don't get to hang out with the guys at all for two weeks. At least, not after school.

Without the beach for a month, well, it's not that bad but I just really like the beach and I go with the guys about two days out of the week.

Me: No beach privileges for a month I guess

I drop my head on the table when I press send. I'm already regretting my decision. Still, two weeks without the guys is worse than a month without the beach.

"What's wrong, Lex?" Jace takes in my disappointed expression and assesses me to see if theirs something outwardly wrong.

"My mom says that since I got detention, I can't go to the beach for a month." I repeat her text and the boys' faces all transform to shock.

"What?" Doug exclaims.

"That's child abuse!" Chris says stupidly.

"Oh my God," Jace looks appalled. He shakes his head. "That's cruel. Just plain cruel. No beach for a month? That means I can't see you in a bikini until almost October!"

"Leave it to you to make this about yourself." I throw a tater tot at him and, annoyingly, he catches it in his mouth. Imbecile.

••••

"Write down your names on the clipboard and be seated. Detention starts now. You will be silent for the next two hours or you'll be attending in school suspension." Mrs. Daughtry informs us, using the same speech she makes every time we come to detention.

Chris, Doug, Jace, and I are the only ones in the room besides Mrs. Daughtry and a boy that looks to be a freshman. He has that whole wide eyed, fearful face like they tend to have when around upper class men.

We all takes seats semi close to each other and talk with our eyes, making a plan to annoy Mrs. Daughtry. If we're going to be here for two hours, we might as well make it fun.

Chris begins chewing his gum obnoxiously loud while Doug taps his pencil against the desk repeatedly. I tap my foot consistently and Jace whistles the tune to 'California Girls' by Katy Perry.

"Students, hush!" Mrs. Daughtry hisses at us from behind her desk.

I truly feel bad for whoever Mrs. Daughtry's husband was. Mrs. Daughty, whose first name is Marge, closely resembles Roz from Monsters Inc. You know that secretary lady? Yeah, that's what Mrs. Daughter looks like, just a human version. It doesn't help the she acts quite similar as well.

Instead of quieting down, we increase our volume. Now, Jace taps his fingers against his desktop. He catches my eye and winks. I just smile.

"Students!" Ro- Mrs. Daughtry exclaims, standing up. She glares at us and we all freeze. She sighs and makes her way for the door. "I'm going to go to the restroom. Be quiet and don't leave."

I think everyone knew that she was just sick of us, and not seriously going to the bathroom. I'm not sure if administrators are even supposed to leave during detention.

The guys and I all laugh and high five each other. Getting her to leave was surprisingly easy. Usually, the teachers put in more effort when we try to get rid of them. Eventually, they all leave, though.

"Guys, we rock." Doug grins and we all nod our heads in agreement.

"Do you think she'll come back?" Chris asks and I shake my head.

"I doubt it. I say we just ditch. If she does come back, she can't tell anyone or else we'll just rat her out and tell them she left us unsupervised. It's technically her fault." I tell them and they all look confused.

"Jesus Christ, Lex. You could be a lawyer." Jace shakes off his confusion and rolls his eyes.

"And we have pipsqueak back there to back us up if we need some sort of witness, seeing as how the staff hates us." Doug says, pointing at the freshman in the corner of the room. The freshman, who has been listening the whole time, just nods his head.

"Alright, boys. Oh, and slightly feminine boy," Jace says, looking at Chris for that last part. Both Chris and I glare at him. "Let's ditch."

So we do.