☼ U S U A L L Y

The last thing I was expecting on Wednesday was to be confronted by Charlie Bailey, Doug's former conquest. It seems he'd moved on, so I didn't consider her his plaything anymore.

"Lexi," Charlie greeted with a curt nod. I just raised an eyebrow and leaned against my locker. "Are you and Jace together?"

"Usually." I replied with a one-shouldered shrug. Her serene expression morphed into one of confusion as she continued to stare at me.

"Wait, what?" She looked aggravated. "So you guys are dating?"

"No!" I exclaimed, quickly dismissing that thought. She sighed in relief and then glared at me. "Not that that would stop you."

"Excuse me?" She hissed, stepping closer to me. I snorted and rolled my eyes. If she was trying to intimidate me, then she was failing.

"Remember that one time you slept with Samuel Frost while he was dating Allison Barker? Yeah, you don't care what relationships you ruin." I'm not one for slut shaming, but I seriously don't like Charlie and the fact that she held no remorse for breaking the hearts of so many girls just kind of made me wary of her presence.

"Look, they sleep with me because they want to. I don't force them to do anything." She replied, flipping her light brown hair over her shoulder. "And anyway, I didn't ask if you were dating Jace because I wanted to make sure I wasn't ruining a relationship, but because of the fact that he won't sleep with me. I figured maybe it was because he had a girlfriend, but honestly, Jace is basically a sex god, so who would he settle down for other than you?"

"Why does everyone insist that Jace and I belong together?" I groaned, running a hand down my face.

"You guys are closer than peanut butter and jelly on a sandwich." She checked her nails. "Which I don't understand. He's so hot, and you're so..." She glanced at me. "Not."

"Whatever, Charlie. I don't care. I'm not into him that way and he's not into me, so you can just leave me alone." I said in exasperation. There was only so much fake I could take in a day.

"Wait, no. Like I said, I want to know the reason he won't sleep with me. At first, I dropped like subtle hints, you know? Then, I got annoyed and I just flat out asked him to bang me and guess what? He said no! No one rejects me, not unless they're in some lame relationship. Which led me to think that he's dating you, but if he's not, why won't he sleep with me? I mean, I'm hot." She rambled and I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"Maybe he just doesn't want Doug's sloppy seconds?" I reasoned and she scoffed.

"Oh, please. When it comes to me, guys don't care how many people I've been with." She countered as if my comment was the most ridiculous thing she'd ever heard.

Still, she was sort of right in a way. I mean, why would Jace pass up on the opportunity to sleep with Charlie? Sure, she has been with nearly every senior here, but so has he.

I was sort of suspicious and the only way to figure this out was to go to the source of my confusion.

"Wait, Charlie. How long has this been going on?" I asked and she tilted her head to the side.

"How long has what been going on?"

"How long have you been trying to get into Jaces pants?" I reiterated and her face lit up in understanding.

"Oh, that. Um, I don't know, maybe a few months?" She shrugged noncommittally. I felt my jaw drop.

Months?

"Alright, um, I'll see you later." I rushed, grabbing my backpack from my feet and slamming my locker closed as I speed walked to where I knew Jace's care would be.

The final bell had rang about fifteen minutes ago, but Jace usually waited around to take me home, so he was probably still here. I hope.

Sure enough, his car was still sitting in the parking lot and when I got closer, I saw Jace seated in the drivers seat, banging his head to some unheard beat. I laughed and since his eyes were closed, I knocked as hard as I could on the window and he jumped, hitting his head on the roof of the car.

I laughed even harder when I noticed his frazzled expression. When his gaze met mine, he playfully glared and rolled down the window.

"I was jamming to Fall Out Boy." He answered my unasked question and I snorted a laugh.

"Yeah, I saw that." I was still pretty amused. He rolled his eyes and unlocked the doors so that I could get into the passenger seat.

Once I was seated and buckled up, Jace backed out of his spot and onto the street towards our houses. I saw this as the perfect opportunity to ask him my questions.

"Jace, would you tell me everything?" I began and his eyes narrowed at the road in front of him.

"Don't I always?" I said as a way or replying and I sighed.

"Well, Charlie Bailey came up to me and-"

"Oh, so that's why it took you so long to get to the car." He nodded to himself and I flicked his shoulder for interrupting me.

"Be quiet." I demanded and he pretended to zip up his lips and throw away the key. "Jace, do you have a girlfriend?"

"What?" He hit the breaks abruptly and I mentally thanked God that I was wearing my seatbelt. I was even more thankful that no one was behind us or in front of us. Jace snapped his head towards me and stared at me with wide, confused eyes. "Why would you ask that?"

"Because, Charlie said that you haven't slept with her. She said she's been trying for months now, and I know you Jace. You don't pass up that sort of opportunity. Even I admit Charlie's pretty, even if her personality doesn't match her appearance." I felt sort of uncomfortable under his heavy gaze and I squirm.

"I don't have a girlfriend, Lex." He mutters, driving once again.

"What about a boyfriend?" I query to lessen the tension. He shoots me a warning look through the rear view mirror and I shut up.

Times like this between Jace and I are few and far between. We rarely ever seriously argue or get frustrated with one another. However, although I'm still confused about Jace's situation, I don't want to push it.

I just have to accept the fact that Jace is keeping some sort of secret from me and that he'll tell me when he's ready. Sure, it might be something that I don't like, but since it's Jace, I'll be able to handle it.

I love Jace. He's my best friend. I wouldn't do anything to risk our friendship, and even though this might now be a big deal, I'll leave it be.

After about ten minutes of silence, Jace speaks up again. "Do you want to go ice skating?"

I was a bit shocked by the drastic topic change, but I nodded anyway. "Yeah, I'd like that."

There's an indoor ice skating rink that the boys and I have frequented since we were little, so we were actually pretty good skaters.

I leaned my head against the window and sighed, watching the scenery pass by in a blur.

Jace will tell me eventually, I assured myself. He always tell me everything.

••••

Chapter 15 what