Chapter 5: "Way to ruin what would've been SWEET moment, idiot"

"Y/n come on, turn on your camera" the voice behind the screen said. She could practically hear him roll his eyes.

She drew a breath in, a little surprised by how good his American accent was. Maybe it was a bias, but his voice was extremely comforting. She felt like she could listen to it for hours. There was a slight pinch of an accent but only detectable if she really tried to find it. But for hearing his voice for the first time, she thought she deserved every right to be extremely analytical of it.

Only then did she actually process what he said.

"WHAT? You filthy hypocrite, YOUR camera isn't on either!" She exclaimed, now rolling her own eyes.

"Oh, see I sort of hoped you wouldn't notice that-"

"It was the first thing I noticed you moron," which was a blatant lie, the first thing she noticed was his voice.

As if he knew what she had just thought, he said, "I thought you'd be hipnotizada by my voice instead," clearly struggling to hold in a laugh.

Well, you're not wrong

"W-wait what? Actually?"

Y/n's eyes widened, apparently having said that aloud.

"You're not wrong," she repeated, trying to play it off with an intentional bit, "I'm absolutely knocked off my feet right now, swept away, head over heels in love, absolutely swooning-"

"You can stop now," he said dryly.

"Oh why would I stop my Romeo?" She grinned, pumping the air slightly, proud of getting out of that predicament smoothly.

"I said, you can stop now."

Y/n snorted.

"So..." she went on, "why didn't you want to do this... earlier?"

"I dont really know, I guess I was kinda scared you didn't want to anyways or you would have thought it was annoying."

Y/n sat there, in utter disbelief. "Okay first of all. seriously? I was literally the one who kept wanting to voice call when we play any single fucking game. Secondly, what happened to your big boy confidence just two seconds ago when you were planning on "hypnotizing" me?-"

"Ok that was a joke-'"

"Shut up don't interrupt me, that was rhetorical," Y/n continued, "and THIRD OF ALL, you told me to get Skype with no information on what it was and then just decide to call me? Do you know how panicked I was when I saw my face preview on there?

"Jesus Christ, were you that terrified by your own face?"

"THATS NOT THE POINT-"

"Ok so now you need to shut up and not interrupt me because I got this same lecture in my inbox, I don't need it again" he said slyly, and Y/n could almost see his shit-eating grin.

He went on, "It's the same mentality as thinking you're pretty but being insecure except in my case, it's knowing you probably won't care but still worried because I, myself, think my voice sucks, especially in an American accent. And come on, how could I pass up on an opportunity to fake flirt with you, it's not like I don't already do it."

"Eh good point, but I'm still pissed. You know, I'm surprised your voice isn't that squeaky or high, like the greasy duck you are." she continued, legitimately shocked by his voice, just not in that way.

"I'm surprised YOUR voice doesn't sound like the diablo del infierno like you are." he retorted, "But not gonna lie, I actually like your voice."

He paused.

"It's actually really nice to talk you like this."

"Aw I didn't know you liked the voice of the devil?" Y/n asked innocently.

"Way to ruin what would've been sweet moment, idiot."

"You call that a moment? Was that even a moment? And since when do you even MAKE a sweet 'moment' like that?"

"You're supposed to say, aw it's nice to talk to you too, not self-deprecate yourself."

"Aye 'self-deprecate', since when does Big Q use big words?"

"Since 'Big Q' had a big brain-"

"So.... never? or anytime in the near future either?"

"Oh I'll TELL you what's in the near future for you-"

The constant, playful bickering continued for next 3 hours as if they were right next to one another. Hearing the other's voices changed nothing between them; in fact, one could go as far as to say it brought them closer. Both felt more connected with each other even though the distance between them hadn't differed at all.

It was hard to believe that he was the same boy she sent a letter to on a rainy day, so many years ago.

It gave her hope and reassurance that if things were just getting better with their voices, why not show their faces too?

But the turn camera on button wasn't as tempting as it was before.

Just then, she saw the time on her screen as it read 12:08 AM. She cursed under her breath because she remembered that school did in fact exist and was victim of having to attend tomorrow. Well, she supposed it would be today now.

"Hey Quackman, what time is it for you?"

"1 in the morning." He said as if he was completely oblivious to the common knowledge that he would only get five hours of sleep at most.

"Yeah I'm going to go to sleep now and I suggest you do the same" Y/n said going to close the tab, but accidentally shutting down the Animal Jam one she had open instead.

"Ah dang I closed my Animal Ja-" Y/n eyes grew round and her hand clamped against her mouth, catching her mistake a little too late. Unable to take it away, she scrunched up her face for the endless teasing.

Oh and did the teasing come.

"WHAT. WHAT. WHAT?!" Alex yelled into his mic, causing it to slightly cut out and Y/n to temporarily deafen. "And you called ME a HYPOCRITE? You constantly make fun of me and you... you were secretly playing this whole time, you no good, lying backstabbing disgrace to the animal jam community!" He scoffed.

"Heyyy that's harsh, but I guess I deserved it. It's an addicting game, what can I say?"

"I'll tell you what you can say, you're going to apologize. To me. Right now. And then tell me your account so we can bully kids together."

"Alright fine... I'm sorry Alex, for relentlessly teasing you about playing the very game that I use as well."

"...thank you." He said warily.

"I really have to go to sleep now ok? Goodnight! " Y/n laughed and was about to log off when she realized she owed him something more that an apology.

"Oh and by the way, I enjoy your voice, it was nice talking to you as well."

She exited the call, not waiting for a response and went to sleep, with a big smile etched on her face.