Chapter 22: "Preach, brother. Preach."

"Y/n! COME ON GET UP!"

Y/n, half asleep, brought the pillow next to her and swatted it at her sleep disruptor. She turned around, (extremely slowly, might I add) and groaned into her pillow before letting out a muffled "what" stretching out the "a" deliberately.

"Do you wanna be late for your trip or not?"

"Tri-? OH FUCK THE TRIP-" She shot out of bed and tried to move past her mother to go change, her grogginess seemed to have evaporated into thin air. However she was quickly stopped since her arm was taken and pulled. Her mom in turn also swatted her head.

"LANGUAGE!" She yelled, not mad, but definitely slightly pissed off. Y/n mocked her and went again to her closest but was yet again stopped by her.

"Excuse me?" She raised her eyebrows, "No cursing young lady, I don't care how late you might be."

"But they're going to leave without me if I'm late mommmm," Y/n tilted her head pleadingly, her bottom lip sticking out.

"I don't give two craps, you use the right language under this roof. And see how I used crap? Instead of... the fouler alternative?" She raised her eyebrows, clearly unwavering by her daughter's previous attempts.

Y/n rolled her eyes, but after seeing her mother's glare, she faltered and went to her closet. Mindlessly scrolling through her shirts, she wondered what she should wear. Her thoughts sort of drifted away at the moment and she was just an empty shell combing through the hangers. Only the soft shut of the door by her mother leaving the room woke her up. Her attention brought back to see her hand was on a T-shirt she and her robotics team (with Matt and Lili as they both enjoyed coding) made at school for their presentation at the tournament. She'd forgotten she had it. Sadly, they hadn't won but it was still very fun to do. She chuckled seeing the intentionally shitty, oh sorry, crappy design of a duck (which of course was the animal she vouched for to be their mascot) with a little robot beside it.

Those happy memories of coding with her two friends led to the definite choosing of that article of clothing. Paired with some jeans and a hoodie tied across her waist she grabbed her suitcase and with 5 minutes of pure struggle, she got it down the stairs where her mom was half asleep on the kitchen island. Rolling the bag to the door she roughly shook her mom's shoulders slightly satisfied with getting payback from earlier. Y/n didn't take being awakened at 3 am lightly.

Her mother groggily got up and grabbed the keys laying next to her outstretched arm. Both of them walked out onto the garage to be greeted by their outstanding Toyota Corolla, Y/n never getting enough of the fact that she had the same model as a meme. She pulled the trunk open, shoved her suitcase in the trunk, and then proceeded to shove herself in the passenger seat. Her phone vibrating occasionally under her leg, her finger rhymically tapping along to the beat of the soft pop music through the radio, and the shuffling of the items in the back in response to every sharp turn was painfully loud in the quiet streets of the city.

Thoughts were running through her head, tuning out the lyrics of the song with excitement. Once they had finally reached the front bus stop at her school, Y/n pounced at the door handle, sprinting to the back. Her multiple pockets filled to the brim with snacks and other miscellaneous objects, she kissed her mom goodbye and almost pranced off to find her friends in the vast sea of her classmates.

"Wait Y/n!"

She turned her head around, stopping midstep.

Her mom smiled through the car window, "Have fun okay? Dont miss me too much."

Y/n jogged over and engulfed her into one last hug. "I'll try not to, but the same goes for you ok?"

"I'm your mother, it's my JOB to miss you."