Tip #18: Gathering Book Club Members

Author: ccallis0246

Requester: JoyeEverett715

Category: Wattpad Tricks

Like running anything else I suppose, running a book club isn't always easy

Like running anything else I suppose, running a book club isn't always easy. However, it can be rewarding and fun! You get to know amazing people, and since you're the one running it, you can make it work the way you want to.

I started Sunflower Book Club (used to be #1 in #bookclubs, might still be or close to the top I think), which is one of Wattpad's most popular book clubs. We currently have about 40 members and continue to grow each week with each new assignment. So now to the question at hand: how do you get that many people?

Tip 1. If you want to start a book club on Wattpad, look at other Wattpad book clubs first. Having original ideas is great to start—you'll want to make yours stand out—but you should see how your "competition" works. Figure out their process first to learn why they're so successful. What are people gaining from these clubs? Why are they entering? Take Erotic Book Club for example: they're easily the most popular (by a longshot, too) because many on Wattpad love reading and writing erotica, which is typically not allowed in other book clubs. Also they're just really well-managed—I mean, even I get jealous of their management.

If you know what makes these other book clubs popular, you can learn how to apply that to your own book club.

Tip 2. Make your book club stick out. What are you offering that other book clubs aren't? Are you going to make your book club more accessible by having low requirements, or are you going to beef up your expectations so only the best-of-the-best apply? The trick with the latter is connections. Book clubs with less expectations and feedback requirements get more members because more people will be able to enter. But if you're more concerned about the feedback the members are giving so that you beef up the requirements, you have to do a lot more promoting and getting to the right people. Look at Rebel Book Club (Rebel_Town) and Pretty In Punk Book Club (PrettyInPunkBookClub); their setups are unique and they have the right connections to people who are looking to give and receive better feedback. Our second book club, Sunflower Writing Circle, is actually struggling to get members because of our feedback requirements, so if you're looking for something more serious... (*wink*)

Even if you decide to have lower expectations, you have to make yours stand out somehow. Don't just copy other book clubs; take their ideas and make your own from them. Sunflower Book Club (SunflowerCommunity) has a flower theme, and Dreamland (DreamlandCommunity) has their dream theme. What's your angle?

Tip 3. Make sure your "competition" isn't your competition at all! Reach out and ask for a shoutout. Most will do it because us book club runners have to stick together lol. Most have a chapter or section of a chapter dedicated to other book clubs if members want to check out some more. I've found book clubs that way, and I'm sure other people look at that information as well. Don't be afraid to ask for advice from the successful ones either, honestly. Some, like Dreamland and Sunflower (yes, I'm bragging about myself here), are very friendly and approachable.

Tip 4. Keep your book club well-managed! You can't slack off. Be consistent, make each assignment weekly/bi-weekly/monthly and stick to that schedule. I recommend a weekly schedule because Wattpad will promote it the more you post, so you'll find members more quickly on a weekly schedule. Make sure your members are following the rules and expectations properly; they shouldn't be slacking either. You see the pros like Dreamland? They run a tight ship. I've never seen them have management issues at all. Look around for more help if/when you need it—you'll definitely need it when the book club gets bigger—and make sure your other admins don't slack off, either. Book clubs can be a tone of fun, but structure and management are vital to a successful one.

Conclusion

I don't run Sunflower Book Club anymore, but I still oversee the manager and the rest of the community. You can make many friends from a book club; it's a great way to meet people. It might take a while to get some members and that's okay. Reach out to people, and don't be afraid to ask for help. I suggest starting once you have six members, but that does depend on your book club's setup.

I learned most of what I know from being in book clubs and figuring out what I liked and didn't like, though I'd be lying if I said Dreamland hadn't been a huge help as well. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to PM me (ccallis0246) or comment here. I'll happily answer any questions you have. You can also contact my community as well, SunflowerCommunity, if you want to talk to the current Sunflower Book Club manager.

 You can also contact my community as well, SunflowerCommunity, if you want to talk to the current Sunflower Book Club manager

Want to submit your own Tip? 
Comment in this book and email your entry to avadelauthors@gmail.com. We'll review it, and if we think it's well-written and helpful to the Wattpad community, we'll post it! Your entry may be something you have written previously, even if it is published elsewhere. (=

Have a Request?
Comment on the first chapter with the topic you'd like to see. Your suggestion might just turn into an article!

 Your suggestion might just turn into an article!