Tip #30: Overcoming Writer's Block

Author: Robinsongbird

Category: Writing Tips

From my experience, there are two main types of writer's block: passive and aggressive, I'm going to call them

From my experience, there are two main types of writer's block: passive and aggressive, I'm going to call them. In this article, I am going to give an overview on what these are and my tips on how to combat them.

If you are experiencing writer's block, ask yourself why. Is there something about the story that is blocking you from working on it? Are there problems with the storyline and you don't want to slog through the major rehaul it will need? Maybe it's time to work on a different story. But maybe you love this story and you're just stuck right now. That is where my tips come in. Just keep in mind that if you are going to craft a good story, you have to be invested in it. So it is your call whether you should stick to it or start something else.

Aggressive Writer's Block

This is when you are sitting, staring at your phone, computer, or paper (if you're old-fashioned like me) and just can't come up with anything to write. Or you're forcing ideas out and every sentence is worse than the previous one.

1) Take a break. Sometimes inspiration just needs a break

2) Immerse yourself in other art—whether it's your own or someone else's. Music, movies, stories, drawings. Art is very good for inspiration.

3) Keep a writing journal. Save your favorite lines from books, songs, favorite quotes. Write down funny things you've heard or witnessed in real life. Collect unique names and words. All of these will be an important reference in your writing.

4) Spend some time doing everything you let get behind while you were writing. Who knows, maybe you'll see a bird out the window while you are doing laundry and it will be just what you need for your next scene! Or maybe you'll be talking to your best friend and something they say is the perfect line! If nothing else, at least you've accomplished something you needed to do.

5) Take a hike. Physical activity is good for the brain. Get the blood flowing, whether you take a nice walk through nature or do some other physical activity.

6) Find supporters. Have a friend read your story. Having someone else who is invested in your story is very motivating and gives you someone to bounce ideas off of.

7) Try to get a routine. Write a little every day

Passive Writer's Block

This is when you just get tired of your story and then suddenly you realize it has been months since you last wrote anything. Suddenly you don't remember where you were in the story, and every time you think maybe you should get back to writing, something comes up and you decide it can wait for another time.