Chapter 32

November 21st, 2019

I awoke to darkness, the musty smell making me sick to my stomach. Every inch of my body was in excruciating pain, I could barely roll over without screaming. My arms were stiff and cramped from spending the night tied to the bed, and I was shivering like mad as the basement was damp and freezing. I could barely see anything around me, but I could hear crying from upstairs.

I sat up instantly, tugging against the ropes uselessly, shouting for my brother. My voice was scratchy and quiet - completely raw from screaming last night.

Footsteps came thundering down the stairs and light flooded in as the door burst open. I scrambled to my feet, yanking on the ropes.

"Good, you're awake," Marcie commented snidely. "I see you survived the night." I felt like throwing up. Marcie stalked over, sizing me up. She slapped me across the cheek, making my skin sting.

"Have you learned your lesson?" she demanded. I nodded quickly, suppressing the tears that so desperately wanted to spill. She untied the ropes, shoving me towards the stairs so that I stumbled and nearly tripped. I quickly climbed the staircase despite every bone in my body screaming out in protest.

"Javi?" I called out weakly, scanning around for him. The kitchen was still a mess; stained with blood and wine.

"Sorella," Javi cried, running towards me. He latched onto my waist. I studied him closely, finding a large welt on his cheek. Tears stained his cheeks and I wiped them away, giving him a gentle smile.

"Everything's going to be okay," I mumbled to him, hugging him tightly.

Marcie slammed the door to the basement, and I moved farther back, clutching Javi in my arms.

"Ben is flying back today, you are not to leave this house under any circumstance, do you understand me, Amelia?" she threatened darkly. I nodded. "Good. I'm leaving for work. Don't make me regret leaving you alone." She left the kitchen and I heard the door slam shut moments later, which had the both of us flinch. Once we heard her car speed out of the driveway, we finally separated, heading upstairs. I was moving very slowly, my back in agonising pain each time I moved. I carefully manoeuvred my way into a t-shirt before leading Javi into the bathroom. I sat him down on the edge of the counter, examining him for more injuries.

"Are you okay?" I asked him. "Does anything hurt?" He shook his head.

"She hurt you very badly," he whispered. I nodded.

"Yes, she did, but I'm alright, don't you worry." I kissed his forehead gently. I helped him down, telling him to wait downstairs and get some breakfast. I closed the door behind him, resting my head on the wood with a heavy sigh. I tried so hard to protect him, but I was so tired. Tired of constantly pretending everything was fine when it wasn't anywhere close.

I stripped out of my t-shirt, tenderly examining my bruised ribs. They were a splotchy purple and blue and hurt like hell. I winced slightly, turning around and staring at all the dots on my back. Tears stung in my eyes as I looked at myself in pure disgust. I was broken and scarred - a walking tapestry of battles I had no chance of ever winning. I was ugly. I put my hands on the counter, hanging my head and just sobbing.

***

A knock on the door echoed loudly throughout the house, making me jump. Marcie hadn't told me to expect any visitors. For a moment, I panicked and though it could be Ben coming home, but Ben wouldn't ever knock, so it definitely wasn't him. 

I slowly and painfully ambled my way to the door, the blisters rubbing against my jumper. I gritted my teeth with every step before plastering a fake smile on my face as I cracked opened the door. I dropped my smile in shock, seeing Alan and Eli on the front steps.

"What are you two doing here?" I asked, my voice still raspy and damaged.

"I wanted to apologise," Alan said quickly, giving me a pleading glance.

"I told you to leave me alone," I told him bitterly. He stepped forward.

"I know, but I just want to talk to you for a minute," he paused. "I shouldn't have started the fight,"

"No, you shouldn't have," I agreed quietly. I kept glancing behind them, paranoid that Ben or Marcie would suddenly show up in the driveway.

"Are you okay?" Eli asked, studying me with a puzzled expression. I was sure I looked god-awful.

"I'm fine," I lied, forcing another smile.

"Why weren't you at school?" Alan questioned. I hadn't thought of a decent lie yet. I thought I'd have more time.

"I'm just feeling a bit sick," I told them. It wasn't necessarily a lie - it was just extremely underexaggerated. They seemed to buy that explanation.

"Oh, well I hope you feel better," Eli offered kindly.

"Thanks," I mumbled. I shifted my weight to my other leg, easing the ache setting in from my limp. I glanced behind them again, terrified someone would pop out and attack me.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Alan asked. "You don't seem well," I bit my lip, unsure of how to lie to him.

"You should go," I said quietly. "You're not supposed to talk to me," Eli gave his brother a confused look before turning back to me.

"Mia, I'm sorry," Alan's voice was soft yet sincere, his green eyes staring into mine pleadingly. "Please, I'm so sorry. I should never have told you what I did,"

"No, Alan, you shouldn't have. Because it's not true, I'm not her," I took a step back inside, taking one last glance behind them. "You need to go, it's not safe here," I closed the door quickly, letting out a sigh. I heard them mumbling from outside before their voices ceased as they left. 

I knew I'd made a mistake by making friends. I thought they'd be safe but apparently, I'd been wrong. Trouble followed me wherever I went, how could I have thought this was a good idea? Now things were tense and messy and everyone I cared about was now at risk. Life had gotten way too fucked up.