Chapter 82

December 19th, 2019

"Hey, how'd it go?" Eli asked, plopping down on one of the kitchen stools and watching me make dinner.

"It went fine," I answered tautly, trying my best not to sound forced. It hadn't necessarily been awful, but it definitely hadn't been pleasant. Monica had been nice enough, but I just couldn't get comfortable talking about my life in front of strangers.

"Well, the way you're cutting those onions suggests otherwise," Eli remarked, gesturing to the aggressive dicing I was doing.

I sighed, setting the knife down. "Today's just been a lot," I admitted quietly.

He frowned and rested his arms up on the counter. "Yeah, we all heard you and Alan this morning," His eyes flickered towards mine, tentatively watching my reaction.

"I figured," I went back to dicing the onions. Alan hadn't been home when Cato and I had gotten back. I'd decided I didn't want to know where he'd gone and I hadn't bothered to ask.

"He's taking it pretty hard y'know," Eli commented wistfully, his voice soft. "He was really upset after you left,"

"He should be," I answered, my tone sounding much more bitter than I'd intended.

"I'm sorry too," Eli blurted out, staring at me apologetically. "For everything that happened last night. Especially the smoking," His voice went quiet. "I wish you would've told me. I would've quit sooner,"

"Xander told you?"

Eli nodded shamefully. "Yeah," he whispered, pausing. "But we shouldn't have gone out and fought," he continued again. "Please don't hate us,"

I blinked at him in surprise. "I don't hate you,"

"You don't?"

I shrugged slightly. "Not really, no. I'm more disappointed,"

Eli groaned loudly, putting his head down on the counter. "Uggghhh, that's worse!" he moaned.

I managed a soft smile, putting the knife down and going over to where he stood, hugging him from behind with my chin on his shoulder. "I love you," I whispered gently. "Now come help me with dinner,"

Eli picked his head up with a grin, chuckling as he got up from his stool to follow me into the kitchen. He stood at the counter in front of the cutting board, looking completely helpless. "What do I do?" he asked sheepishly.

"Chop those," I said, pointing to the pile of basil leaves.

Eli picked up the knife and began to messily do what I'd asked. It wasn't perfect, but he had a cute little concentrated look on his face to make up for it.

"What now?" he asked after a few minutes as I was finishing the other steps to the tomato soup I was making.

I grabbed a few garlic gloves and placed them in front of him. "Can you mince?"

He shook his head, a soft smile on his face.

"Here," I mused. "I'll show you," I placed my hands over his, guiding him through the motions. We brought the flat of the knife down on a clove, crushing it and removing the peel. I then taught him how to very carefully mince it until he was able to do it on his own.

"This is actually kinda fun," Eli admitted with a grin.

"Cooking always is," I replied.

"Yeah, but I'm not very good yet," he complained. "I can only make a couple of basic things,"

I shrugged. "You just have to practise," I told him gently. "You'll get better,"

Eli glanced up at me, his brown eyes searching mine. "Can I cook with you more often?" His voice had quieted and I could see a faint blush in his cheeks.

"Of course," I answered, smiling. "Anytime you want,"

***

I stood outside Alan's bedroom, trying to work up the courage to knock on the door. He'd come home an hour ago and took one look at me before stomping upstairs and sulking in his room.

I'd been thinking about everything he and Cato had told me, and I realised they were right. And the longer I'd thought about it, the more I didn't want to be fighting with him, even if I was still a little upset about last night.

I took a deep breath and rapped lightly on the door. I heard him grumbling from the other side before he wrenched it open, his eyes widening slightly when he saw me.

"Hi," I said softly.

He studied me, shifting his weight from leg to leg. "Hey," he answered after a minute, his expression hard.

"You were right," I told him quietly. "About me,"

Alan sighed. "No, I wasn't. I had no right to say that to you," he mumbled. "I know moving in hasn't been easy for you, and I shouldn't have expected things to change right away. It isn't fair to you,"

"And I know you went through a lot when we were kids," I confessed softly. "I know you were hoping to go back to the way things were, but-"

"We can't go back," Alan interrupted. "Trust me, I know that now. I'm sorry I kept trying to force it on you,"

"I'm sorry for yelling at you," I said softly.

A small smile graced his lips. "It was kind of funny," he mused, chuckling.

I frowned. "Funny?"

He shrugged. "Yeah. I've never seen you get that mad before. Good to know you have it in you,"

I rolled my eyes. "Well I didn't like it," I informed him. "I don't want to ever fight again,"

"I didn't like it either," he agreed, pulling me into a hug. "I am glad you're you, by the way. I wouldn't want to be twins with anybody else,"

"Agreed," I said softly.

"And I take it you're not leaving?"

I gave him a pointed look as we stepped apart. "You know I'd never,"

He frowned indignantly. "Well you had me fucking worried,"

I rolled my eyes with a soft laugh until I fell silent, noticing the bruising on his knuckles that was clearly worse than it'd been last night. "Alan, where were you all day?" I asked worriedly, staring up at him in concern.

"I went to the gym," he mumbled, his cheeks tinting a mild red. "I figured it was a better solution than beating up you boyfriend,"

"I do appreciate that," I teased gently, smiling.

"Alan! Amelia! Come down for dinner!" Cato called from downstairs.

"I'm still getting used to hearing that," I admitted as we walked towards the dining room together.

Alan nudged me with a grin. "Get used to it faster," he said. "Because you're stuck with us,"

"Well look at you two," Xander commented as we joined the rest of the family around the table. "I guess you're the one person he can't hold a grudge against,"

Alan frowned. "I don't hold grudges,"

"You do too," Colton argued. "Remember that one time four years ago I accidentally spilt punch on you at the gala?"

Alan's expression darkened as everyone began to laugh. "You did that on purpose,"

"I did not!" Colton protested stubbornly. "I tripped! I was ten years old, it was an accident,"

"You were an accident," Alan snapped back.

"Okay, enough," Cato cut in, though he was wearing an amused expression himself.

Xander smirked. "I told you so," he sang to Alan, looking smug.

Alan looked ready to smack him.

"I suggest you all start eating before there's nothing left," Cato advised, glancing at Calvin, who was busy devouring a heaping plate of garlic bread.

"What?" he asked innocently, once he realised everyone was staring at him.

I couldn't help but smile. So maybe I was a little less confident with myself, but I had my family now, and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.