Chapter 66

December 13th, 2019

I woke up in a dark, unfamiliar room. I didn't recognise it, but it was warm and cosy, and I oddly felt pretty safe.

I sat up, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed as my head began to throb. I briefly remembered what had happened at the cafe; how I'd given in when Cato had asked me to come home with them. I don't know why I'd said yes, but it had just felt right at the time.

I rose to my feet, pushing away the covers and shakily making my way to the door. Familiarity washed over me as I walked down the hallway and down the stairs. I was in my brothers' house, but I'd been in somebody else's room.

I saw lights on towards the kitchen, and even though they were dim, I could make out a figure sitting at the counter.

"Hey," Colton glanced up at me as I came in. "You're awake,"

I nodded, smiling softly. "Yeah,"

"Are you okay? Feeling any better?"

"I'm fine, I promise," I assured him. I scanned over the cabinets, trying to remember which one held what.

"Need something?" Colton asked, noticing my confusion.

"Water," I answered shyly. "But I can't remember where your cups are,"

Colton chuckled, standing up from his stool and opening one of the cabinets on the left, handing me a glass.

"Thanks," I was glad it was fairly dark because I was certain I was blushing from embarrassment. I filled my glass from the tap, taking a sip as silence stretched between us.

Colton leaned against the counter next to me, running a tired hand through his tousled brown hair.

I examined his face, reaching out and gently brushing my fingertips over his stitches.

He scowled and swatted my hand away. "Ow," he muttered.

"Does it hurt?" I asked worriedly.

"Obviously," He

I nudged him, giving him a stern look.

Colton sighed. "You try having a needle stabbed through your face,"

"I have," I answered, my voice quiet. "A lot, actually," I watched him whiten.

"Mia, I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

I waved him off with a smile. "It's fine, Colton. Really," I paused. "Did you win?"

He looked at me in confusion. "Win what?"

"Your fight,"

His face flushed red. "How'd you know?" he asked guiltily.

I shrugged slightly. "I had a feeling," I replied. "Did you win?"

Colton shifted uncomfortably. "Of course I did,"

I nodded, taking another sip of my water.

"That's all you're going to say?" He stared at me warily.

"Did you want me to say something else?" I inquired, glancing back at him.

He ran a sheepish hand through his hair again. "I dunno. Everyone else always yells. I figured you would too,"

I shook my head. "I don't yell," I told him.

"Oh," He fell silent for a while before continuing. "I only started the fight because of you," he admitted quietly.

I raised my eyebrows, surprised. "Me?"

"Yeah," He nodded. "Some kids from school used to tease us about you disappearing. Today, they said something about you leaving again, and I don't know, I just snapped,"