Chapter Twenty Five

James sat in the library with a book he had been "reading" for hours. He couldn't seem to get the images of Emilia with Matthew out of his mind. He would feel angry one minute, hurt the next, and then sad. He would reason that it was for best.... he couldn't have her anyway. But then he'd start the cycle all over again. He slammed the book shut and slummed deeper into his chair with a frustrated groan.
"Can I assist you My King?"
James almost jumped out of his chair. Ms. Grendich stood in the door watching him.
"Ms. Grendich! You startled me." James could tell Ms. Grendich was holding back a smile. She knew. He sat up straighter and cleared his throat.
"I think the hosting for King Morgan and his children has beaten me down..." he hopped his lie was convincing.
"Perhaps some time away would refresh you, my King." Ms. Grendich suggested as she stepped into the library. "Maybe a camping trip? You used to love going on those trips with your father..."
James smiled as the fond memories of his father taking him camping came to mind. Maybe a trip would be nice... but there was so much to see be done. He didn't have time for leisure trips as a king. 
"I don't think I can leave right now. There is so much to be done... a kingdom to run."
"The kingdom will be fine for a few days My King. Besides, you can't run it by sitting in this library thinking about... certain people."
She definitely knew. He pondered the idea for a moment but before he could make up his mind King Morgan walked into the library.
"There you are James! I was just thinking-" he stopped mid sentence as he looked between James and Grendich. "Oh... did I interrupt. Forgive me." He bowed respectfully.
"Come in, King Morgan. We were just discussing a camping trip." James invited.
"A camping trip? That is an excellent idea James! You haven't had a break since you've become king. Fresh air will do you some good."
"That is what Ms. Grendich had advised... but I don't think I could leave my kingdom unattended. What if something were to happen here, or to me. What then?"
"James. Don't worry about a thing. I will extend my stay a few nights and watch over things until your return. Your kingdom is in good hands with Ms. Grendich and I at the helm." Morgan bellowed as he pulled Grendich into his side like they were old pals. She looked slightly uncomfortable at this gesture and slightly blushed.
It was settled then. No more excuses. He would leave at sunrise and return after three nights. He sent word to the stable master to ready four horses.

The next morning the castle was in a buzz.
Grendich informed the kitchen staff to prepare provisions for the kings trip. She picked up a bundle of blankets.
"Emilia!" She called, as Emilia entered the kitchen. "Help me with these bundles." She nodded toward the other bundle which looked like a tent. They carried them out to the stables for the stable boys on load the horses.
"Do you think he'll be upset?" Jeffery, a stable boy mumbled to the stable master.
"Upset about what?" Grendich asked as she set down her heavy basket with an already exasperated sigh. The two men turned quickly toward her and then looked nervously toward each other.
"We only have three horses available but the King had asked for four. The prince took one yesterday and has not returned. And the other is still mending from a wolf bite." Said the stable master calmly.
"I'll inform the King directly then." Grendich waved her hand dismissing any questions they wanted to ask.
"Why does the king need four horses?" Emilia asked.
"One for him, two for the nights that will attend him. And one for you." She answered,  as they hurried back toward the castle to finish preparations. It was still slightly dark out, but the sun was starting to rise.
"Me?!"
"Yes, you Emilia." She sighed, to tired to explain further.
"But why... me?" Emilia asked, suddenly  nervous.

"You are the kings servant."