Chapter Nine

Being dismissed for the evening Emilia asked Ms. Grendich if she could bath first and retire for the evening.
   "First? Ha! Why?" She asked Emilia with a fake laugh crossing her arms in question.
   "This was my first full day serving the king. I'm just so tired," she stretched and faked a yawn. "A-and my back aches from standing up so straight all day." She rubbed her back and made a sad face. Ms. Grendich didn't understand why Emilia wanted to go first but she knew those weren't the real reasons.
   "Very well, but hurry. I need to start the shifts."  Emilia's face lit up and she hugged Ms. Grendich before she ran off to her room to collect her things. She didn't think she'd get the whole room to her self, she just wanted to be in the first shift. She excitedly grabbed everything she needed and wrapped it in her cloth before scurrying down the hall to bathing room.
As she opened the door the steam pooled out around her and she quickly stepped in and took in the room. She had never had a private bath. She felt anxious for some reason... Anxious but excited. She walked up to the first bath and set her things down. This time she remembered to move them a little further away from the hot coals underneath the tub. She quickly undressed and slipped into the tub. She moaned softly as the warm water enwrapped her body. The sweet smell of lavender filled the room and the quiet echo of water droplets soothed her. She felt as though she would melt away. She sighed as she sank deeper into the water until she was completely covered then she came back up for air. The water felt so good she moaned again. She wished she could always have a private bath. She didn't care what she did or said now because no one was watching or would hear her. She didn't feel so self-conscious. As she washed her body and hair she hummed softly a song that she remembered Ms. Grendich would sing to her when she was a child and the words drifted through her mind.

   Sleep little princess close your eyes
Tomorrow will come with a big surprise
All the world is yours to hold
So take your hands and make your mold
Sleep little princess dream sweet dreams
Because this world... is not what is seems.

Emilia smiled at the fond memory. The door creaked waking her from her memories and she turned quickly to see if anyone was there but there was no one. She had forgotten to close the door. She quickly jumped out of the tub and wrapped the cloth around her remembering she was supposed to be quick; but as she went to close the door Ms. Grendich opened it.
"You forgot to close the door." she spoke softly. Emilia tilted her head wondering why she wasn't being scolded.
"I know, I am sorry. I was just about to close it when you..." she trailed off realizing Ms. Grendich wasn't listening but staring at the floor instead.  "Ms. Grendich?" she whispered.
"Mm, " Ms. Grendich cleared her throat and looked back up at Emilia. "yes, well y-you better get dressed quickly and go back to your room. We have an early morning tomorrow and lots to do." She looked back up at Emilia once again and smiled gently before clearing her throat and walking out of the room.
Emilia was gathering the last of her things and wrapping them in her cloth when the door swung open and all court servers entered in. She waited by the door as the people poored in until she saw Maggy walk in.
   "Maggy!" she called and her friends eyes looked around the room until she saw Emilia. Her eyes grew wide a huge grin spread across her face.
"Emilia! What are you doing here?" she asked as she skipped slipped out of line to Emilia.
"I was going to ask you that." she smiled politely, not wanting to give away that Ms. Grendich had shown favoritism toward her.
Maggy's eyes twinkled as her smile grew bigger. "Ms. Grendich gave me a very very special task this evening so I get to bath with the court servants." she said as she lifted her chin. Emilia laughed but was also shocked at Maggy's short explanation. She looked like she wanted to burst with all the details but she held her tongue. Emilia leaned closer to Maggy who was now giggling like a little girl.
"What's the secret task?" she smiled, waiting for it all to come spilling out of her mouth. But Maggy just giggled some more and pretended to lock her lips, her eyes glemming with excitement. Maggy always seemed happy to Emilia, but this was something different.
"It wouldn't be a secret task if I told." she said in a sing-song voice, and with that, she spun around and practically skipped to an open tub. Sometimes Emilia couldn't believe they were the same age. She just smiled as her friend walked away, knowing she couldn't keep a secret for long and would probably tell her by breakfast. As the last servant entered Emilia slipped out and headed back to her room. Ms. Grendich was overseeing bath night and directing the shifts so she knew she'd have a few hours before she came to check on her. She threw her things on her bed and took a quick look in the mirror as she fixed her hair. It was almost dry now but it would have to do. She picked up her note from Matthew and snuck down the hall to the kitchen. No one was there so she easily snuck out the back door and ran up this hill toward the trees. She hopped Matthew would still be there. She found her way to the clearing and saw Matthew laying on the grass with a flask in his hands. She stepped quietly through grass to sneak up on him but he heard her coming and jumped up to scare her by tackling her to the ground. They landed on the grass laughing with Emilia laying on top of him. She smiled and was about to lean in and kiss him when she realized he had glazed over look in her eyes. He smiled through his half open eyes and let out a small burp.
"Scuse thee" he laughed and that's when Emilia knew.
"Matthew- are you... Drunk?"