Chapter Thirteen

Ms. Grendich bustled around the servants in the courtyard as she made her way to the front. A servant named Jeffery had placed a soap box for her to stand on at the front of the room. She carefully stepped up on the box but once she looked out at everyone, she felt silly. She always felt silly for standing on a box during these meetings but they had all insisted she do so, so they could see and hear her better. She cleared her throat and the chattering voices slowly drifted away.
"Attention all!" She spoke up, and everyone turned to listen. "The delegates from Kanorian will be here within the hour. So I need all of you to serve your best and wear your best. We must make our King and Kingdom proud!" Everyone shouted and started clapping, but Grendich raised her hand to silence them. "Now... the prince and princess will be joining their father, King Morgan, here at the castle for 3 nights. They are bringing a few of their royal court here with them as well, so please be accommodating. This gathering is very important to the king, so be on you're sharpest behavior!" And with that she clapped her hands twice dismissing the group who all began to hurry around the castle to prepare for their guests arrival.
"Come with me Emilia." she said, as she stepped off of the box. Emilia followed her down the hallway to her chamber. Once they were both inside Grendich sat at her desk and looked in the mirror.
"I despise those meetings." Grendich huffed, as she began to fix her hair, that looked perfectly fine to Emilia. Emilia flopped on the bed with a big sigh and as she yawned with her mouth wide open, she caught Grendich's glance through the mirror telling her she was not being very lady like. She sat up straight on the bed and crossed her ankles with her hands folded neatly in her lap.
"Sorry." She almost whispered as she smoothed her dress out. Grendich looked back in the mirror at her hair and sighed.
"It will have to do for today." She then pulled out a piece of parchment from her pocket where she had scribbled today's order of events, and began to go over every detail with Emilia.

After the Kanorians had arrived and were served lunch in the great hall, the two kings met in the library for their private meeting while the prince and princess rested in their rooms. Only Grendich and Emilia and a serving boy, whom King Morgan had brought, we're in the room as the two men talked jovially.
"I say James. That was a very good meal after such a long journey." King Morgan chuckled, as he leaned back in his chair and rubbed his big belly. He was tall, but not as tall as James, and he was much older. He had red hair and a red beard, but both were starting to grey.
"More wine, perhaps, as we continue this meeting?" He suggested almost jokingly, though he raised an eyebrow to see what James would say.
"Of course, King Morgan." He smiled amusingly, as he turned to nod at Emilia. She picked up the pitcher and walked over to refill their cups. She gripped the pitcher tightly as to not repeat the incident from the other day. As she poured King Morgan's drink she could feel the Kings eyes on her and she started to feel uneasy.
"What a beautiful young lady." King Morgan smiled at her fondly, like a father to his daughter. Emilia quickly looked to Grendich for instruction and she nodded gingerly toward the king.
"Thank you, Sire." Emilia almost whispered as she bowed her head. She finished filling his cup and stepped around King James to fill his cup as well.
"What is your name dear girl?" The King asked, picking up his wine, as he kept his eyes fixed on her.
"Emilia, your highness." She bowed her head again. She wasn't liking all this attention, and was starting to feel very warm.
"But what of your surname?" He asked.
"I have none, sire." She ducked her head in shame slightly, but before the king could ask further questions Ms. Grendich spoke up swiftly and gently.
"Your highness," she stepped forward with a map in her hand that James had requested for. Emilia looked up to see a young man leaving the room. He must have just delivered it. She looked back her task and set James' cup on the table just as he was reaching for it and his hand slightly brushed against hers. They both hesitated a moment but he only pulled his hand away swiftly almost causing Emilia to spill the drink. She regained her composure and quickly returned to her spot in the room and released a small breathe she had been holding.
The two kings poured over the map and talked about territories and boarders and other things Emilia didn't understand or care too. She looked out of the nearby window and starred dreamily at the trees as the wind rustled the leaves. She felt as though they were reaching out to her to go and sit under them and take in the fresh hair and feel the breeze on her face. A loud cough brought her attention back to the room and she looked toward the kings who were still talking. Then she looked at Grendich who stood on her right. Ms. Grendich gave Emilia a knowing look to stop day dreaming. Emilia quietly let out a breathe as she tried to focus. The two Kings were laughing at something as they stood from their chairs and made their way to the door. They shook hands, smiling at one another as good friends.
"Now Morgan, you must get some rest as well. I will see you, and your children, at dinner." A guard opened the door for king Morgan as he leaned in and whispered something to James. James smiled and Emilia could have sworn he glanced up at her for a moment before chuckling.
"Oh, I will." He smiled, as Morgan lifted an eyebrow. King Morgan left room mumbling something to the serving boy who quickly followed behind him and James returned to his seat with a loud sigh as he plopped down, feeling exhausted.
"That will be all Grendich. Thank you for your service. We will discuss the meeting tomorrow morning. I am to tired to debrief now."
Ms. Grendich nodded her head and began to exit the room but not before she signaled Emilia to stay. She had been dismissed but he hadn't said anything to Emilia and she didn't want the girl following her out of the room.
Once Grendich had left the room the king sighed once more as he stood and stretched his back. He then looked to Emilia then out the window near her.
"I am going to go for a walk." Emilia was relieved to be done. She wondered if she should go lie down a minute or maybe go sit under the trees.
"Very will, my Lord, when will you return so I may help you prepare for dinner?" She asked, before sucking in a breath hoping that wasn't to forward of her to ask.
"You are coming with me, Emilia." He said with authority. Then added, "and we will be back in plenty of time to prepare for dinner."

————————————————————————
This chapter is for @Juana7sue - Thanks for reading and for the feedback!