Chapter Twenty Three

Emilia stretched her arms up above her head with a soft content sigh. She gazed up into the trees as a gentle breeze swept by them. It was a beautiful day and she was thankful for the peace and quiet. She had gone a little deeper into the forest so no one would disturb her this time. Leaning back against the tree she closed her eyes with a smile. In the quiet stillness of the morning she couldn't help but feel content and sleepy. The warmth of the sun and cool of the breeze made her doze soundly off into dreams once again....

James sat with King Morgan all morning and was now growing restless. He listened careful to the Kings ideas and hadn't noticed he had been shaking his leg until Morgan spoke up.
"Anxious are we?" He chuckled with a empathizing smile.
"Sorry, Sir. I must have a case of the restless leg I guess."  He apologized as he stopped his leg and sat up straighter in his chair.
"I think your leg is telling you it's time for a break... why don't we pick this up later?" He patted James' knee as he stood from his own chair. James followed suit and stood as well, thankful for the stretch.
"Let's take a walk." Morgan summoned James as he exited the room. Once the two men were outside in the fresh air King Morgan spoke up again.
"So, James. Tell me... what do you think of my daughter?" He smiled jovially as they walked side by side. James thought for a moment not quite sure what to say.
"I find her company inviting." He started off, "She is beautiful, respectful, loyal, intelligent, and she cares for her people. All admirable traits."
"Mmm," Morgan replied. James felt uneasy and tried to think of something else to say but nothing came to mind.
"But you don't love her?" King Morgan asked. James was shocked at his bluntness and his mind raced for a response. He straightened and cleared his throat hopping to appear composed.
"If all goes well with this arrangement I'm sure I will grow to love her as we serve our kingdoms side by side."
"Always a sensible boy you were." Morgan chuckled. "Your father always said how proud he was to have such a loyal dutiful son." He sighed, remembering his friend.
James thought of his father and wondered what he would say if he told him he loved a serving girl.
"Victoria loves another man, James." He said as he stopped walking. James turned to him. He thought about how he too loved another and wondered if they would ever be able to love one another in marriage or if they would both be miserable for the rest of their lives.
King Morgan chuckled, making James realize he had said nothing.
"And I can see you both are in the same boat... not in love with each other... but with someone else? And both so dutiful bound." He smiled as he began to walk again. James stepped in stride with him.
"I want my daughter to be happy James..." he sighed. "And I want you to be happy. But I also want our kingdoms to flourish." He paused for a moment as he looked up into the sky. "So if we can find an arrangement that suits everyone I would be most delighted." James couldn't believe what he was hearing. Was King Morgan really calling off the arranged marriage!
"Sire...I-I-" he stuttered to fund the words. "This arrangement was made years ago between you and my father... I would never want to break it... even if there were someone else."
Morgan looked James in the eyes and placed his hands on his shoulders, " your father also told me he wanted you to choose your own path and that most of all he wanted you to be happy... I feel I better honor him with this wish than with this arrangement." He smiled as tears welled in his eyes at the thought of his friend. James couldn't contain himself, he pulled king Morgan into a hug.
Morgan patted James back and whispered, "I miss him too." The two kings walked back to the castle ready to make a new arrangement that would best suit both their kingdoms. James hadn't realized how much this arrangement had weighed on him until this moment. He felt so light he could fly.
He felt... free.