Chapter Nineteen

Ms. Grendich opened the door slowly. Emilia lay on top of her bed still in her dress from the night before.
Grendich had exited the kitchen last night to rejoin the dinner party when she heard arguing. She peaked out a window into the courtyard to see Prince Alex, King James, and Emilia. The men were clearly arguing over her. Grendich was shocked at first but then again it shouldn't have surprised her. Emilia was such a beautiful girl. Ms. Grendich felt terrible. She had placed Emilia in direct attention of the royals and knights, not thinking of how they would see her. Servants were supposed to blend in but Emilia stood out like a Rose among Lilly's. She heard Emilia's outburst and apology right before she ran away. Grendich wished to follow her, to comfort her... but she had a job to do. She continued walking down the hall when the two men entered.
"Good evening, sire." She bowed her head toward the king and he returned it with a nod. Then she looked toward Alex.
"Prince Alex." She only spoke. He nodded his head anyways and walked back toward the dining hall holding his stomach. James stayed and stared at the ground.
"Can I help you with anything your majesty?" James shook his head slowly and then opened his mouth to speak but only closed it again.
"If you're not feeling well I can inform your guests to continue without you." She suggested seeing the distraught look on his face. He was looking down the hallway as if hoping to see something. Or someone.
"No. Thank you Ms. Grendich." He looked down at his hands. "We don't want to be rude to our guests. I will survive..." he looked back down the hallway once more before looking back to Grendich. "Can you... check on Emilia first thing in the morning. I think she is... feeling ill" he gave her a look of concern and sadness. She nodded in return.

That morning Grendich stepped into Emilia's room and closed the door. She sat on the edge of the bed and moved Emilia's hair out her face. She looked so peaceful. Grendich remembered when she was so young she still had to hold her in her arms to get her to sleep. She would lay Emilia down and stayed by her side until she was sure she was deeply asleep. She rubbed Emilia's shoulder and she sighed and adjusted her position. She rubbed her arm again and this time Emilia's eyes slowly fluttered open. She looked up at Grendich and rubbed her eyes as she sat up.
"Is time to get up already?" She yawned and stretched. Ms. Grendich nodded and spoke gently.
"How are you feeling my dear?" She put a hand to Emilia's forehead. She knew that if Emilia was sick it was heart sick, but she played along.
"I'm fine." She shrugged but Grendich could tell she was hurting.
"Tell me about it." Grendich pushed Emilia's hair behind her ear and smiled at her beloved adopted daughter. Emilia's eyes started to water and she finally told Grendich everything. From her relationship with Matthew, knowing about Maggy, the king's kiss, Alex's pass, and the blowout from last night. It all came pouring from her lips through sobs and sharp breaths. When Emilia finished Ms. Grendich pulled her to her lap and Emilia tucked her legs up on the bed while Grendich stroked her hair.
"You've had quite a week." She spoke softly. Emilia sniffled, "I wish I was invisible... that no one wanted me."
Grendich gave a small chuckle, "but if you were invisible and no one wanted you... you'd still be here crying but about how you wish you were beautiful and wanted." Emilia shrugged, not feeling any better.
"I was happy with Matthew... then things got complicated and now... I don't know."
"Do you like the Prince?" She asked bluntly.
"No! He's a selfish stuck up man who only cares about himself and being better than everyone else." Ms. Grendich looked down at Emilia with a warning glance.
"Careful Emilia... he's still a Prince."
"I know. That's why didn't slap him and run away when he grabbed me." She said angrily. "Just because he is royalty doesn't mean he can do whatever he wants."
Grendich paused for a moment debating on whether to ask Emilia her next question.
"Do you like the King?"
Emilia was quiet.
"I-I don't know..." she said honestly. "I'm afraid to." She knew even if he liked her back it wasn't as if they could be married.
"I know Matthew isn't perfect and he messed up but at least I have a chance at a normal life..." she sighed and so did Ms. Grendich. Her heart broke for Emilia, even she didn't know what to do or what to say.
A loud crashing sound came from the kitchen and Ms. Grendich mumbled something under her breath.
"Are you feeling up to serving the king today or should I find you a replacement?" She asked as she stood. Emilia stood to, catching a glimpse of her disheveled hair and dress in the mirror.
She sighed deeply, "I'm alright."
"You'd better get ready then. I'll meet you in the kitchen." As soon as Ms. Grendich had left, Emilia started to regret saying she could still do it. She looked up with deep sigh and gave a silent prayer that today would go smoother than yesterday.

James awoke with light shining in on his face. He rubbed his stubbled chin and checks. He sat up and groaned. His head was killing him.
After he had returned to the Great Hall he tried to drink away the memory of Emilia's strained voice yelling at him. He couldn't remember much of anything else from last night.
His head pounded and his heart ached, thinking of Emilia. He rolled back into bed wanting nothing to do with the day ahead. Just as he started to drift off again, he heard the door open with a squeak. He peaked one eye open to see Emilia entering the room with a tray. He closed his eyes quickly pretending to still be asleep. He was surprised she was here. He thought for sure she would have quit, but maybe Ms. Grendich made her come up here to do her duty. He heard her shuffling about the room cleaning things up then she opened the curtains quietly. He felt her presence standing over him but she didn't say anything. He wondered how long he'd have to wait until he heard a sniffle. He wanted to open his eyes so badly but he kept them shut. He then heard her whispering to herself.
"Why did I have to fall for you?" He was shocked by her words. He thought she loathed him.
"I know you just want to use me but..." she didn't finish her sentence. James wanted to jump up and tell that he didn't want to use her... he wanted to love her, care for her, protect her.
She let out a deep sigh and one last sniffle before she rubbed his shoulder.
"My Lord, it's time to wake up." She said confidently as though she hadn't been crying. James slowly opened his eyes and sat up. She returned to the table and brought him his breakfast without looking up at him.
"Ms. Grendich thought this tea might help your... headache." She meant hangover but she didn't say anything.
"Thank you." Was all he could say. Emilia walked over to the table and picked up the garments she had brought up with her. She pulled the dressing cover out and laid the clothes out on the side of the bed. She waited until he finished his breakfast and then took the tray from him. He stepped behind the garment cover and put on his undergarments. A knock came to the door and he nodded at Emilia to open it. Maggy stood at the door. She smiled at Emilia, "Ms. Grendich wanted to know if the King would like a bath this morning to freshen up?" Emilia turned and looked toward James who spoke up himself.
"Tell Ms. Grendich thank you, but I will take my bath tonight." Maggy nodded at Emilia with a shy smile and walked back down the stairs without another word. Emilia closed the door and walked up to the cover.
"Ready my king?" She asked. This time careful to not see anything she shouldn't.
"Yes." He answered and she stepped behind the cover and picked up his pants first. He stepped into them and she buttoned them very carefully. Then she retrieved his shirt and buttoned it up. She tried not to stare at his tan chest, etched with muscles, as she completed her task. She leaned in to place his belt around his waist and fastened it. She could smell his musky sent that she dreamed about yesterday. She then picked up his cloak and pinned it around his neck. She got his crown and he bowed lower so she could place it on his head. Once he was completely ready she pushed the dressing cover back and went to open the door for him. He hesitated for a moment wanting to say something to her. To apologize. But he only looked down at the ground and walked through the doorway toward the library.