Chapter Twenty One

Ms. Grendich left and sent a cup of tea up for the king to drink when his bath was done. Emilia kelt by the tub and carefully washed his hair.
"You are so beautiful." He whispered as he watched her work. She blushed but didn't say a word. She didn't know what to say. She rinsed his hair and handed him a cloth.
"Wash your body." She commanded. He looked at the rag and lazily dropped it on his chest. Emilia rolled her eyes with a sigh.
"I guess I have to do everything." She once again knelt by the tub and picked up the rag. She started at his feet and worked her way up his legs. She stopped at his knees, not wanting to go further. Then she washed his arms and shoulders. She was leaning over him washing his chest when he reached up touched her face. She froze. He held her face for a long while before speaking. "I'm sorry for last night... I'm sorry for a lot of things." He paused as he concentrated on his words. "I never wanted to use you... I just can't help thinking about you. Emilia I-" she quickly stood interrupting him.
"You're done with you bath sire." She held his towel up to hide her eyes as he got out of the bath. He wrapped the towel around his waist and used the other towel to dry his hair and arms. While Emilia mixed the tea he put on his underwear and slipped into bed. She brought his tea to him. He drank the cup in silence while Emilia cleaned up.
"I'm all done." He held the cup up for her. She took it from him and set it on the table. She came back to the bed and tucked him in.
"Goodnight, my king." She whispered.
"No..." he spoke up. Emilia turned around slowly. He had sat back up in bed and waved her over. Her heart raced and her palms began to sweat. Once she was by his side. He moved over and patted the bed. She slowly sat on the very edge of the mattress with her heart beating faster than a rabbits. "Can you sing me that song you were humming on the night I saw you in the bath?" He asked, still a little hazy from his drinking. Emilia was shocked... He said he couldn't see who it was! She was about to tell him no and stand up when he pulled her further onto the bed.
"Sing." He commanded. So she did.

Sleep little princess don't you cry
Tomorrow will come with a big surprise....

As she finished the song she glanced over at the king who seemed to be sleeping. She tried to pull away to leave but he pulled her back down sleepily.
"Stay." He said in a low and groggy voice. She was scared but he was already so out of it she didn't try to leave anymore. She would stay on top of the covers while he was under them... Nothing was going to happen she told herself repeatedly as she tried to calm her nerves.

In the middle of the night James woke with a headache. He tried to pull the covers more over his face but something heavy was on them preventing him. He looked over to see Emilia sleeping peacefully beside him. Still in her dress from yesterday and on top of the covers. He looked around the room and saw the bath tub and his dream from the other night came to mind. Did something happen last night? He looked back at her dress... no she wouldn't still be in that if something did, he thought to himself.
He carefully pulled the covers out from under her and placed them over her, tucking them under her chin. She sighed deeply and adjusted herself. She rolled over and snuggled into his side. James smiled to himself. He loved the way she fit so perfectly next to his side. The way she smelled and the way her hand felt on his chest. He closed his eyes once again ready for sleep. For the first time in years he felt completely happy and content.