Chapter Twelve

As Emilia walked into the room she looked over to see the king still asleep. She finished throwing the dirty clothes in the basket by the door. Then she went to open the curtains. This time she confidently swung them open letting the light shine right on the king. He groaned sleepily and rolled over. She sighed, hoping that would have woken him up. She then walked over to the other side of the bed to wake him but once she saw his face she stopped. She hadn't really studied his face before not for more than a quick second, afraid to be caught staring. She almost forgot why she didn't like him until she realized he was probably naked under the sheets. She blushed and pushed a hair back from her forehead. She took a deep breath before leaning in toward the king's ear.
"Sire, " she whispered. "It's time to wake up." she spoke gently but confidently, but he continued to sleep. She cleared her throat and opened her mouth to speak again, a little louder this time, but he began to stir.
"Emilia..." he moaned. Emilia shot straight up and took a step back. She must be hearing things was all she could reason in her mind as to why she heard him say her name in his sleep. She watched him, afraid to wake him again, but then it came again. Her name spoken huskily from his pink lips. It made her want to kiss him. But she determined in her mind that that would be the end of such crazy thoughts. She walked back up the side of the bed and rubbed the king's shoulder gently yet firmly.
"My King." she spoke in her normal volume so she could be heard. The king's arms moved under his pillow and his eyes slowly fluttered open. Startled he sat up too quickly and almost revealed himself again. Emilia was quick to shield her eyes as she tried to keep her heart from racing.
"um... your breakfast is ready." she pointed to the table where she had set it. Without another word, she walked over to the cabinets and began to choose the king's wardrobe. But before she could even choose one, a knock came to the door. Emilia looked to the king who was still sitting in bed rubbing his neck. He nodded toward the door signaling her to open it. When she did a small woman stood at the entrance with a bundle of clothes.
"Ms. Grendich sent these up for the King." the little woman bowed as Emilia took them from her hands. "They are his meeting robes." she smiled sweetly, seeing Emilia looking at them in confusion.
"Oh, thank you." Emilia smiled back at the woman and then quickly retreated back into the kings chambers.
Emilia turned around and saw the king sitting at the table eating his breakfast. Since she didn't have to pick out his clothes, she went to the bed and made it over. Once it was made and the pillows put back she gathered the bundle of clothes and unfolded them laying them out on the bed for the King. He had finished eating his breakfast in silence and as he rose from the table Emilia rushed over to take his tray away. Once she had finished she stood near the doorway with her hands folded and head bowed like the other servants would do while waiting for him.
"Mgh." The king cleared his throat catching Emilia's attention. "Are you going to help me or just stand there." he motioned toward the dressing cover and Emilia tried not to blush thinking of the other day's mishap. She quickly pulled the dressing cover out and waited until he was decent.
"All clear." he called and she stepped back behind the cover shocked to see him only in his underwear. She tried to suppress the feeling in her stomach as she retrieved the garments from the bed and began to dress the king.

James looked down at Emilia as she quietly began to dress him. He normally would have done it himself but he couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to be close to her and this was as close as he could get. As he studied her hands while she buttoned his pants he noticed they were all scrapped up. Then as he looked up he saw a bruise slightly showing from where her sleeve had been pushed up. He finally brought himself to look upon her face and right after the image of her in the tub had passed he saw a welt on the side of her face that had been very poorly covered up by make up, and a small cut on her lip. He clenched his fists tightly knowing this was not because of the work she had been doing. She had been hurt by someone. Emilia must have sensed his anger because she looked up at him and slowly backed away.
"Are you ok, my lord?" she asked so tenderly, it made him angrier just thinking of who could even hurt his beautiful sweet caring girl. He relaxed his hands though as he tried to calm his anger so he wouldn't scare her.
"Yes, sorry." he pushed away her question as he looked straight ahead. She hesitantly continued buttoning his shirt but he felt her eyes on his face. He didn't look down into her brown eyes though as he asked her.
"Where did you get those cuts and bruises?" He saw her body stiffen and her hands began to tremble slightly.
"I was- working outside and I-uh... fell." She answered unconvincingly. He knew she was lying.
"What were you were working on?" He asked with and eyebrow raised. She chuckled nervously as she finished the last button and stepped back.
"As King I wouldn't want to trifle you with simple things as my work..." she examined his clothes making sure they were presentable then she took his crown from the table and reached up to place it on his head. "Besides," she smiled kindly at him. "You have plenty to worry about with your meeting today." She smiled unconvincingly and began to put the dressing cover away. But James knew even if Emilia wouldn't tell him the truth herself he would find out one way or another.