Chapter Twenty Six

Emilia stood in front of the Kings bed chamber door. Grendich had sent her up with his breakfast tray but Emilia was hesitant to enter. The guards near the door exchanged questioning looks so she pushed the door open and slipped in before they could ask anything.
A camping trip... with the king?
Emilia set the tray on the table and began her morning duties which she had now memorized in order and had gotten quite used to doing so.
The king stirred in his sheets as she flung the curtains wide open not as gently as she used to. She hoped that would wake him so she didn't have to but it did not. She stepped around the bed to wake him. He lay on his stomach with his arms wrapped under his pillow. The sheets only cover him from the waist down so his bare back was exposed. Emilia couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to run her fingers down his smooth muscular back. She slowly reached out and touched his shoulder gently trying to wake him.
"My lord?"
No answer. She touched him again. This time venturing to sit on the edge of the bed and rub his shoulder tenderly. His head only turned against the pillow to face her his eyes still shut. She continued to rub his shoulder feeling his warm smooth skin under her cold and rough hands.

James eyes fluttered open groggily and he looked up at the beautiful angel sitting at the edge of his bed, glowing in the sunlight. Her checks were rosy from the cold early morning and her hair, while still in a bun, had little curls spilling around her ears. He smiled up at her for a moment wishing he could wake this way every morning. Then he remembered the events that took place the day before and his smile faded. He should scold her for sitting on his bed but only sat up and said coldly, "breakfast." She blushed a little but immediately straightened and stood calmly. She didn't scurry about from here to there like before. She seemed more calm and reserved than usual. She retrieved the tray and sat it in his lap a little too firmly, then continued to pull out his clothes. Before he could say another word to her Grendich swung open the door.
"Sire! You're still in bed." She said as more of a statement than a question. She shook her head and began to pack clothes from his closet.
"Yes... it appears I'm off to late start." He removed the tray from his lap no longer feeling hungry and stepped out of bed. He walked over to the window and stretched as he soaked in the sunrising sun over the trees. He could hear Grendich muttering about schedule and Emilia pulling the dressing cover out. He released a heavy sigh before turning around. Emilia stood waiting for him by the cover with his clothes in hand. He stepped toward her taking the clothes from her hands and went behind the cover. He didn't want her dressing him. He didn't even want to look her in the eyes. It hurt. More than he cared to admit.

Emilia, waiting for the king to dress, kept her eyes on the floor. She could feel Ms. Grendich's eyes staring at her but she didn't dare look up to meet them. He stepped from the cover dressed in his riding clothes. She lifted his crown and tip toed up to place it on his head.
After placing it just right she bowed, "my lord." She said evenly. Not with the same emotion as she had before. Grendich handed Emilia the kings satchel as they left the bedchamber. Down the hall Grendich explained what happened with the horses and that the castle would be well looked after while he was away. After many warnings about the forest she wished them a safe and rewarding trip.
Outside, they loaded the packs onto two of the horses. The two knights took their horses and the king took his. Emilia stood awkwardly waiting for someone to tell her which of the knights she was supposed to ride with. But with the knights horses fully packed there was no room for her.

James watched Emilia look nervously between him and the other two knights. He sighed and held his arm out to her. Her eyes widened and she stared at his hand, unmoving.
"Oh, do hurry up and take my hand." He said slightly agitated. She blushed and took his hand as she put her foot in the stirrup. He pulled her up behind him in one big swoop. He released her hand reluctantly and whistled the horse into motion. One knight led the way and the other trailed behind them.
Emilia didn't know where to put her hands to hold on so she awkwardly held on to the back of the saddle. After an hour of riding in silence her hands started to hurt and she was loosing her grip. She couldn't complain and she couldn't let go so she determined to mussel through it. A few more hours passed and when she thought she couldn't hold on much longer the king looked over his shoulder at her.

James couldn't take the silence any longer. He turned to see if Emilia would talk to him but the moment he saw her face pale and etched in pain he ordered the knights to halt.
"We'll take a quick break here. Fetch some water Sirus, quickly."
He dismounted quickly and pulled Emilia down and carried her to a shady place under a tree. His left arm wrapped under her back and his right hand accidentally slipped under her dress when he pulled her down so he could feel the soft skin of her thighs. The image of her slender bare body in the steam by the bathing tubs flashed in his mind once again and as he set her down he tried to conceal his growing passion. He returned to the horse to discreetly adjust himself and collect the water from Sirus. When he got back to Emilia she was slummed under the tree holding her hands to her chest. James gently reached toward them and noticed they were shaking. Her hands were red and starting to bruise. she could barely open her fingers from being curled and gripped so tightly for hours. He cursed himself for not telling her to hold onto him. If it weren't for his stupid pride.
After washing some of the cool water over her hands and wrapping them in cloth he looked up at her. Her face was tear stained and her head was bowed only looking down at her trembling hands.
His heart ached and he felt guilty.
"Emilia...." he whispered in pain as he lifted her chin. She slowly looked up and one look was all it took. He wanted to kiss her. To make her feel all better. After a long moment of looking into her sad eyes he couldn't look anymore. She had hurt his heart... but he had hurt her hands. He leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss into each bandaged palm and then lifted her up onto his horse. He mounted his horse as well and sat behind her this time; wrapping his arms protectively around her as he snapped the reigns.
"I'm sorry, Emilia." He whispered into her hair. "I'm sorry."