Chapter Three

Ms.Grendich closed the doors behind her with a loud thud that echoed through the library. Shivers ran down Emilia's spine as she waited for her punishment. But nothing happened. The King was silent and she didn't dare to look up again to see why he wasn't speaking. After what felt like a few minutes of silence, he finally spoke.
"What is your name?" His voice echoed through the room and Emilia once again felt so small compared to the great room and great king.
"Emilia.." She said a little too quietly.
"Speak up girl, I can't understand that mumbling. Did Grendich teach you nothing?" He scoffed as he rubbed his forehead, "Certainly not any manors at the least." He said mostly to himself.
"My name-hmm" She cleared her throat which now felt dry as a bone and licked her lips trying to help the words flow. "My name is Emilia" she tried to sound confident but she could hear the fear in her own voice. He studied her small frame and the dirt that streaked across her face and clothes. Her hands had cuts and bruises from hard work and her shoulders slumped in shame and embarrassment. But he also noticed her strange beauty, she looked... almost familiar. He rubbed his chin as he thought.
"Ms. Grendich said you need new placement... why?" He asked sternly hoping she'd answer truthfully.
"I-I..." she didn't know what to say. She didn't really know why she was still here so how could the king understand.
"Ms Grendich thinks there might be a more suitable placement for me than in the kitchen." She answered hoping that it was truthful enough to pass. The King raised a brow quizzically.
"You're telling me you've been working in the kitchen with those dirty cut up hands- No. you have been cleaning, gardening, chopping, helping in the stables, and now you are in the kitchen. Did I miss anything?" He asked watching her fidget with the cloth she used to clean up the water, her face turning pinker.
She was silent so he stood up and walked up to her and stood directly in front of her.
"Why does she think you need knew placement?" He asked again, trying to hold back the anger he felt because of her silence. He looked down and saw her hands slightly shaking and that she had been fidgeting with the cloth to hide them.
"I'm no good in any place." She whispered bowing her head even lower. The King was taken back by this answer because it sounded truthful. She believed she was wasn't good at any placement they had given her.
"Where is she going to place you next?" He asked as he began to walk behind her. Emilia stayed still and tried to stop her hands from shaking.
She took a deep breath as she answered, "I don't know. I think she has run out of placements for me." The King was now directly behind her when he stopped. He looked down at the ground and wondered why Ms. Grendich would keep this girl around if she really was as terrible at every job as she claimed. He was tempted to just release her, but curiosity plagued him. He swiftly walked to the library doors and opened them.
"Grendich!" He shouted down the hall. she walked from beside the doorway, "yes my King?" she answered calmly. He seemed shocked to see her so close by, but be beconded her inside. As she closed the doors behind her and turned around she had almost expected to see Emilia on the floor sobbing. She was pleasantly surprised to see her silent, quiet, and still. She still stood facing the kings chair with her head bowed waiting for the punishment part. The king resumed his seat at his chair as he began to speak to Ms. Greenwich.
"this girl has been in almost every placement, " he paused and studied her once more trying to find the answer. "why is she still here?" he asked finally giving up. Ms. Grendich looked down and spoke as calmand collected as she could. "She is Antino and Errisel's daughter who abandoned and left in my care since infancy and... whom I consider to be my daughter." she waited for the king to recognize the names before continuing. "and I am sorry for any trouble she has caused or anything she has misspoke- I will escort her off the grounds immediately if you so wish, my lord." she bowed her head at the end in respect for the kings wishes as she tried to keep her composure. She wanted to beg for Emilia's mercy form the king, but now was not the time.
The king was silent for a long while, pondering this news. He couldn't believe it, but he had heard the stories of Antino and the ladies maid, and Grendich had never lied to him before. It was always the king first with her and she was his most trusted advisor. As he puzzled over what do with this girl an idea came to mind.
"Ms. Grendich since you cannot find a suitable placement for this girl and she obviously needs to learn a lesson or two in manors and respect.." he paused, making sure he still agreed that it was a good idea, "she shall be my new servant since the boy needs to be replaced." Ms. Grendich looked shocked yet happy he had not decided to release her and was about to thank the king for he mercy on Emilia; but he raised his hand to silence her. "but... If she does anything like she did today in public view of the nobles and knights I will banish her from this kingdom." he gave his final word and stood once more from his chair. Ms. Grendich bowed and Emilia followed as the king came and stood before her.
"Meet me in this room at sundown, I need to discuss some other matters with you." he commanded. He began to walk toward the door before turning around. "and Emilia..." she turned to face him. "do not be late."