༻𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐩𝐞 𝐯𝐚𝐥𝐯𝐞༺

─━════⊰⊱ ◈ ⊰⊱════━─

─━════⊰⊱ ⊰⊱════━─

Jungkook found himself hesitating to enter his house when he arrived. But the cold wind outside eventually forced his hand to move up and unlock the door to get inside. The emptiness and the silence of his home welcomed him coldly as always. He looked up at the clock to check the time and headed for the dining room. Jieun emerged from one of the entrances that led to the kitchen in her elegant yet discreet blue dress. She stopped beside her chair with a steady gaze towards him. Behind that look was the darkness of what he had seen a few hours ago in his office.

Jungkook decided to ignore it.

Jieun had no right to be angry, in the same way he had no right to feel bothered by her friendship with the officer either. How many times his mother hadn't sat at the table with his father, knowing about the women he had spent his hours with?

Jungkook pulled out his chair and sat down, tasting all those bitter sensations in his throat. Jieun did the same after him. The silence was as usual, but this time, extremely uncomfortable. He ordered Yumi to serve the entrance and that was it. Jieun took two mouthfuls of her salad, reached for the bottle of wine, then stopped instantly. Her hand slowly withdrew from it and she continued to eat quietly.

Jungkook frowned briefly before taking a deep breath. It was time to break the silence. "You had something to deliver when you went to my office."

Jieun looked up at him.

"The envelope you held," he remarked. "It was for me, wasn't it?"

"It was —" she overlapped and paused. It was in that single second of pause that her brain worked quickly. "... just documents from the management of the justice department. I had to bring it home."

Jungkook swallowed his food and took a brief sip of his wine.

"I know it was for me," he said and waited for an answer that didn't come. "It's all right...  There's no need for you to pass it on to me if you think you shouldn't," he filled his mouth with food and saw her lowering her eyes while playing with her fork. "When's your next speech?"

Jieun sighed.

"Why do you want to talk, Jungkook?"

"I don't want to talk. I want to know when your speech will be."

Jungkook knew that forcing to make his wife to speak would irritate her more. And the fact that she was angry, made him want to see her angry even more.

"Why do you want to know?" she asked impatiently.

"Just tell me."

"I thought you didn't like setting up dialogues at dinner time."