༻𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐠𝐞༺

─━════⊰⊱ ◈ ⊰⊱════━─

─━════⊰⊱ ⊰⊱════━─

September 04, 2036 - 06:28 PM

(Five months before the founding of Kawa)

"You can't be angry forever."

Jungkook raised an eyebrow over his shoulder and scoffed. "Who said I'm angry?"

Jieun smiled from the tree branch, her feet dangling. "I have learned some curious things about you within these two months... You always bite your cheek whenever you feel annoyed."

"We spent the entire day hunting, caught nothing because every time we got anywhere near our target, you frightened it away," he responded, fixing his bag and gun. "But, hey, I have no reason to be angry."

"Yah! The last time I really had to sneeze," she defended herself.

Jungkook rolled his eyes, sighing. "Admit it that you're too soft when it comes to killing something."

Her jaw dropped, insulted. "Soft?!"

"Mm-hmm," he confirmed, looking up at her. "How do expect to join the marines if you're incapable of shooting a deer? You'll probably give up after the first day."

For a moment, Jieun's eyes dropped, and he might have sworn it was in disappointment even if her face remained the same, as blank as stone. "That's what you think of me?"

"Quite frankly?"

"You're already being frank at this point."

"Then yes, it is what I think of you," he crossed his arms. "Don't get me wrong, Jieun. You have all the potential to become the best marine in this country if you want to... but this fear and the lack of courage in your heart gets in the way of that. Having mercy for others won't take you anywhere."

Jieun looked at him as if pondering the statement, then shook her head. "Am I a coward? Is that what you're saying?"

"No. But if you can't hunt an animal, don't think it'll be easier with a human."

She got down from the tree, landing gracefully on the floor. "Fine... I admit it that I have been boycotting our hunting today, but do you know why?" she walked closer to him, also folding her arms. "Because I don't like shooting at innocent creatures for sport, as you call. There's a difference between killing for fun and killing to protect yourself or to save something that is important to you. My country is important," she stated, serious. "The last thing I'd do is to give up once I'm in."

Jungkook didn't say anything, just stood there quiet, staring at her. They suddenly heard sounds from somewhere, and he blinked in alarm, but Jieun did not.