Chapter 23

Meliodas came to me to report what happened at investigation. They believe Christine is probably being kept with the ten commandments. They still couldn't find out why she was taken? And we have no idea if she is even still alive. I...I can't lose anybody else... I don't want to lose anybody else... Though here I am, lying in a depressed state on my bed. Refusing to get up. My eyes mostly red and puffy from the crying and me rubbing them. Her sword was still on the bed. My eyes locked onto it. It was the only thing of her I had. I should be helping my people, I should be helping the sins. But here I am. Lying here like a useless piece of luggage. It doesn't even matter if I got up, I'm no help. I've never been any help to any of them. All I've done is cry even after I found out about my healing abilities. I'm so useless. I thought I actually changed. Turns out that was just a big pile of bullshit.

I... just wish I was useful enough to help those of my friends who has died... to help save her! She went through such terrible things before we had met, and I wanted to help her recover but... Because of me, she's been taken. Probably being put through more terrible things and it's my fault... isn't it?

I let her go off on her own around the kingdom.

I went to go find Meliodas without checking up on her.

I spent so long with Meliodas, wasting his time and made it so he couldn't get back to the kingdom in time to help her.

I feel more tears swell up in my eyes. God! Don't cry again! That's all you ever do so for once can you not! The tear dam broke and the tears streamed down my face. But I didn't bother to move to stop them or clean them off.

I just stare at the beautiful piece of metal. To any normal person who looked upon me, would just think that I'm admiring the weapon but what I am doing is remembering who owns this weapon and who I let down. By now, it was around mid day, I had awoken early. So I had been wasting away in this room for much longer than any other person would. Its not like it matters if I get up or not.
I'm still going to be useless, useless to Christine, useless to Meliodas, useless to my family, useless to my kingdom, useless to the country, useless to the world.

A sturdy knock awoke me from my trance. I didn't move, I couldn't move. I couldn't even speak. I was just still staring at the sword with tears running down my face.
The knock came again.
Then again.
The fourth time the mysterious person knocked, a voice followed. A voice of a man I knew very well.
"Elizabeth, its around noon. Are you going to leave your room? Or maybe at least talk to me?"

There was the man himself, Meliodas. Sin of wrath. Talking with concerned voice from beyond the door. He shouldn't be concerned about someone as useless as i am. He wont stop until i leave my room but... I don't want too. I just want to stay in my room forever. What's the point of leaving when you have never done anything good?
Finally my body decides to respond to me. I move my hand up to my face, brushing the tears of my face. I continue this as I sit up. Having to take deep breaths to avoid Meliodas knowing I've been crying by how I talk. After all this, I finally have enough courage to speak to him.
"I'm alright Sir Meliodas. I didn't realise how late it has become, I hope you don't mind if I stay in my chambers for a bit longer." My voice almost sounded the exact same. Only I could tell the difference and sense the lies. Or so I thought?
"Are you sure you are alright Elizabeth? You sound different. And after what happened yesterday... are you truly okay?"

Dang it. Why can't he leave me alone? He has more important matters to deal with than waste time on someone like me.

"I'm alright Sir Meliodas... Just please... leave me alone..." He didn't respond to my plea, instead I heard some footsteps leave my door. I allow my body to fall back onto my bed, giving the sword a few seconds of airtime before it descend back to me. It was in my grip once again. My return to how it was before Meliodas came to check on me. Back to my guilty thoughts. And only that before I suppose I cried myself to sleep. But even in my dreams, I couldn't escape my depressing thoughts.