Prologue chapter one: Alex's Discovery

It all started out with me and my friends, a close-knit group that had known each other as small kids in kindergarten class... 13 of us, plus a few younger siblings. The biggest class in the school. We all grew up in and around the small town of Greenfield, a really, really- really small town. Population probably less than 100.

It was our 1st year in senior high when this happened. I was at home when I got a call from one of my friends, Jojo.

"Yo, Jackie! You busy tonight?"

I couldn't help but to laugh. He has weird nicknames for all of us.

"No, what's up?" I asked.

"Hm. Couple nights ago Alex found a big, creepy, abandoned place in the hills nearby. It's a weekend, so I was asking if you'd want to come along and explore the place."

I was never into creepy places, but this interested me.

"Sure, I'll go- who else is going to be there?" I had to ask.

"Well, you now, myself, Jane and her little brother Alec, I called Vinny and he said he'd spread the word... knowing that guy he's probably going to call everyone he knows, but anyways.. who else? Oh, yeah, Jo, Lara, and Austin."

Hm. If I were to get scared I at least had Austin there to jump onto. Then blame it on the dark and how it's always so scary.

I have a big crush on that guy. He's just so cute. In a brave way. I could talk about him for most of the story, but forget that.

Anyways. I remember talking with Jojo a bit longer, discussing math test results and things, then leaving and grabbing my yellow overcoat and running out to meet my friends at the park. I was the third person there, Lara and Jo already waiting nearby.

"Hey! Jackson!" Lara waved me over to the tree she was sitting by. "I can't wait for the sunset- it'll be way too cool... won't it?"

"Might be." Jo said. If you knew her well she didn't speak much unless Jojo himself was around. Jojo and Jo were like our leaders. "Personally, I think sunsets are pretty- but creepy houses take my attention."

She then went quiet as Jane, Alec, and Elizabeth came toward us.

"Hey! Liza! Jane! Alec! You guys are here too?"

"Yep, Vinny told me-" Elizabeth started to say.

"And also, I know that Haneen and Tamia are gonna be here too!" Jane finished.

"So we gonna go soon?" Lara asked. I never saw her as the type to explore a haunted house, but she'd do anything for fun.

"Wait for Jojo." Jo said. "He planned this."

It was a couple more minutes of talking and a few more friends coming around to where we were meeting when, finally, Jojo, Alex and Jamila showed up.

"Yo! You guys all here? Let me see.. we just need Austin now. Said he was gonna show up-"

"I was the first one here, Jojo." His voice came out from the top of the tree. "Sup."

The others looked up and started laughing. Austin's watching everyone from above, a bit of a grin on his face. It makes me happy seeing he's enjoying himself- considering he's usually mad with people- but not today, he's smiling like he won the lottery, and it gives me some little fuzzy warm feeling in my chest.

"Well, now that we have our final man, shall we go?" Alex quietly asked.

"Heck yeah! Let's go explore some creepy stuff!" Lara shouted.

We all headed on the path to the house, unaware of what would happen next.