Chapter 8: Movie Night + A Rude Awakening

(2 short chapters merged into one don't ask)

While we had time to chill out, of course, I let my thoughts get a hold of me again. The TV had been playing old TV shows and movies for us, and a bunch of us sat down on the couch to watch the movies that played. We had no remote, so it was whatever played on the TV that we watched. I used that time to pretend I was watching, but I let my thoughts go back to this stupid game we were playing.

"Dan was evil, that's good we got him out, but he was our friend."

"We had known him, as well as Alec, Elizabeth, Vinny, Mason, Minji, and Tamia, and we had betrayed them. We killed them.. Someone here murdered them."

"Who would do this? Who would kill their friends they've had since kindergarten?"

But yet again, my thoughts were driven out of my head when I heard my name.

"Oi. Jackson. You okay? I can tell you're not watching the movie." I looked at the source of the voice- which I knew well, to see Austin was ... worried about me?

"I'm fine." I muttered, feeling a bit better about myself.

"You said that last time, then you snapped." Austin said, then looked away for a second. "Well, we aren't exactly in the best situation. I get it."

"..Thanks for at least understanding." I said, but before I bothered to say more Austin put an arm around my shoulder and rested his head on mine. I put my hands on my face, trying to cool it down because I knew I was blushing again.

"Hey, Jackson?" Austin whispered to me, with his head still resting beside mine.

"Hm?" I tried to look at him while he talked... without making it too awkward.

"Whad'ya say when we get out of here that I go get the car at home and we go drive out to the lake, together? I know my parents have a cabin they don't use out there. Just for the day. Like, skip school, just a little reward." I loved his idea, but I couldn't help but to think of the present.

"You think we'll make it out of this place?" I asked.

"Of course. If there was one thing you taught me, it's to be positive." He smiled. I smiled back.

I closed my eyes and let the world drift away.

xx

I don't remember how long I was asleep for, but I woke up to screams and Austin shaking me awake. When I opened my eyes he was gone. Suddenly, realization hit me. He had gone to hide. The murderer was back up to kill and I was an easy target. The first thing my eyes caught was a shadow, illuminated in the moonlight from the window, that took the shape of a person. Holding a knife. Walking up to me from behind. Finally, my mind snapped out of the trance that I was kept in and told me one thing. "Run, you idiot, Run!"

I felt the knife pierce the fabric of the couch cushion behind me, slicing the sleeve of my jacket. Fear really did set in. I pulled my sleeve away, leaving the jacket behind, and jumped off of the couch. I bolted to the concrete-floored room, and backed into a corner, behind the broken door, shuddering. The killer walked into the room. Again, every second felt like an hour as I waited for the killer to choose. "Either kill me already, or leave me alone!" I thought to myself. The water that pooled on the concrete floor started to soak my shoes. As the killer looked around, I cowered behind the door. 

"You slippery little rat... You know this isn't over. I'll find you, Jackson, but tonight I guess your life is spared. I'll kill someone slower." A voice said. It didn't sound like any of my friends.

The footsteps got quieter, and soon disappeared. My knees felt weak, and I let myself collapse onto the door, sliding down to a kneeling position. Suddenly, I heard a crash and that same robotic-sounding voice on the other side of the wall.

"Any last words, Alex?" The voice said.

A jolt of fear went down my spine again.

"You sick bastard. You sick, sick bastard,--" He started to say, but couldn't finish his sentence. I knew what had happened already.

However, the killer wasn't finished. They walked back into the room I was in, and the first thing I noticed was their looks. I couldn't tell who the killer was. They had a ankle-length robe on, and a mask that covered their entire face. They were dragging Alex's body behind them... and I wish it was too dark for me to see what happened. I wished. I watched, in fear, but I couldn't keep my eyes away, as Alex was dismembered and each arm, leg and his torso were thrown across the room. I heard a digital laugh as the killer left, setting Alex's head on the lone chair.

The last thing I remember was closing my eyes and not opening them until the lights turned back on.