Chapter 5: The Time Between + The Muffin Man

The rest of the day went on like nothing had happened... but it sure didn't feel like it.

The house was magically altered, somehow, and during the middle of the day, food appeared on the table, the TV repeatedly flashing the words ["Eat Up! You need energy for later!"] in our faces, like it was mocking us. I refused to touch any of it, watching others eating like they hadn't been fed in 5 days. I poked at the food in front of me, my mind wandering away from where I currently was. Was Tamia alive down where she was? I mean, I doubted it, but I couldn't help but to think. What would happen if the bad team won? What's dying like? Which hurts more, being voted out or killed? What if--

"Yo. Bananaboy." Austin had a plate of food and was sitting beside me before I even noticed. "You ok? You better eat something."

"No." I said. "I don't need it. I'm not hungry." The last thing I wanted was for somebody to try to talk to me.

"You sure?" He looked over at me, giving me a pat on the shoulder. I didn't bother responding back.

"Hm, fine, fine, I get it, things are weird- I'll shut up now." He looked away, taking his hand off of my shoulder. I felt a bit guilty for ignoring his help, but didn't bother talking.

xxx

The rest of the day was fairly normal. I began to forget what happened, but it still lingered in the back of my head while I wrote in the journal the game had given us. Meanwhile, Jojo showed the others the cool things the voting machine could do, which he learned by pressing buttons and switches on the side.

"You do know, Jojo, that could have killed you." I heard Alab say while watching Jojo play some odd arcade-like game on the voting machine.

"So what? Anything could kill us here. We all might die anyways." Jojo said, and the second he said those words, those truthful words, I felt uneasy again. The room went fairly quiet afterwards.

Sure, I said the day was normal, but I never said the people were acting normal. Jojo seemed strangely chill with everything that just happened, and now my suspicions were on him. Jo began to watch everyone else closer and no longer seemed very nonchalant with anyone in the room. Austin was starting to get angry with insignificant things again. Lara stayed fairly happy, but was jumpy and screamed at the lightest brush of a hand, Alex was always writing things down on a notepad I didn't know he had and running to Lara to protect her whenever she yelled out, Elizabeth and Alec, despite not being really good friends, seemed to always run back to a different room to talk, Dan started crying at random and kept running back to the room where the bodies were in, Jamila hadn't spoken a word, Alab and Haneen I hadn't seen for a while, and Jane was trying to be even more positive than she already was. It wasn't normal at all, even though it was only the people that weren't acting fine.

The world went by as a blur, and when I was back to my own senses, I found myself in the storage room at this point, and I knew it was because everyone scared me now.

"Hey, Jackson!"

I jumped.

"Jackson?" Haneen's face poked around the corner.

"...yeah...?" I muttered out.

She walked in and held out a muffin. "I wanted you to have this. It's my role to make people happier. Trust me, I'm the muffin man."

I took it, with a nod and a surprisingly real smile. "Thanks, Haneen."

"Plus, Jackson, you should really come see people here, even Jojo's a bit worried about y-"

Suddenly, for the second time, the lights dimmed, flickered, then went out completely. I grabbed a hold of the door and snuck behind it.