𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗

B R I A N N A

B R I A N N A

I awoke in a panic. My body shook in fright from the thought of him coming back. He was going to kill me, wasn't he? Brad? But as the room stopped spinning and the storm in my brain calmed, I realized where I lay.

I was in a room that I recognized all too well. I remembered the dark interior. The canvas that sat inches away and the patio that sat outside of the large window. Axel's bed was comfortable, it was the kind of soft bed that you would imagine sinking into.

As I rubbed my eyes, the pounding in my head increased and the dizziness continued. The memories of last night were honestly a blur. I don't remember much but I do remember Axel, he saved me. I looked down at myself to find that I wasn't in my dress from last night but a large black hoodie that was able to cover my thighs for the most part.

I pulled the hoodie over and almost cried at the relief of seeing my black laced panties intact. I smooth my hands over the blanket that had been laid over me, relishing at the softness. It was one of the things that could've put my mind at ease and my memories flooded into my mind.

My eyes stung from everything that had transpired. I should've let him kill him. I shouldn't have stopped him when he held that gun over his head, I would've done it myself if I knew this would happen. I've never killed or shot someone before. Yeah, I was used to shooting targets but not at actual people. But if I had the chance to start over again. If I had the chance to turn back time, I'd bury a bullet in that man's head. I'd be fine watching the life leave his eyes. I'd bet my life that he felt the same.

I looked into the mirror that sat on the wall in front of the bed and finally took a moment to take in my appearance. For some reason, I expected myself to have at least a small amount of blood residue on my forehead but all I found were paper stitches. I pressed my hand against my forehead, feeling the scab that had grown over the wound. Axel must've cleaned me up afterward. That or he had someone else to do it.

The pain in my head came and went but as it slowly subsided, I heard running water coming from a few feet away from me. The door was cracked open, releasing the scent of the steam. The scent was bergamot and leatherwood and something else that I couldn't put my finger on. I didn't have a problem, breathing in the scent as my nerves immediately melted into nothing more than dusk.

Slowly, I allowed my feet to touch the cold ground. I shivered as the pads of my feet touched the cold hardwood floor. I lifted myself, the ache in my head still present yet it was bearable for the time being. As expected, the hoodie surpassed my thighs, covering everything important yet leaving the mind up to imagination.

The floors creaked as I gently stepped toward Axel's desk. It was filled with an assortment of paperwork but the only thing that caught my attention was the sight of a sage green sketchbook, laid under a mountain of papers. I bit my lip and slowly pulled it from the rubble.