𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟒

B R I A N N A

B R I A N N A

"You can't be serious," Harper said, leaning against the hardwood counter. I nodded my head and slumped against one of the chairs in the library. After a couple of days of unpeaceful silence, Ms. Harper finally came back from her trip. The woman working the library before had just been a temporary fix, used to fill Ms. Harper's absence. God, I was so glad that she was back. I don't know how much longer I would've lasted without her. '"I'll talk to her about that. Serena has always been a stickler for the rules. What was all the commotion about anyways?"

I took in a deep breath, preparing myself for the very short but draining conversation. It was a normal Thursday and I had finished up most of my classes so, it was safe to say I had an hour and a half to myself. "Brooklyn-"

The elder librarian rolled her eyes. "Not her again. Is this drama really continuing?"

"Yes!" I almost exclaimed. I cleared my throat, lowering my voice. "Yes..." I said more calmly.

"I thought this was put behind you," she stated, raising a questionable eyebrow in my direction. I blew out a breath once more, attempting to calm my already riled-up nerves.

"I've been trying, but every time I mind my business, here she comes trying to disturb my peace," I began. I continued to tell her my point of view on the events that took place days ago. I told her why I confronted her and why it was important to me to say something.

Ms. Harper gave me an apologetic look. "I'm sorry that happened hon. You don't deserve that." she said, giving me a sad smile. The librarian sat straight in her posture and picked up a pen to start documenting. "Other than what happened, how have you been doing, darling?" she asked. I turned around to face her, watching a few strands of her gray hair fall between her eyes.

I shrugged my shoulders, a bit conflicted with my answer. Should I tell the truth and tell her that I haven't been the best? Or should I lie and hope that she believes me? I suck in a harsh breath. "I've been good," I replied, deciding to lie and not burden her with my feelings and personal problems.

"Brianna," she called, and I looked up from watching my fidgeting fingers, finding her looking at me with both of her hands on her hips. "I have 3 kids, 2 of them with children of their own. I can tell when you're lying and telling the truth. I thought our bond was stronger than that."

I pursed my lips together, feeling bad about disappointing her. I didn't mean to. "It is...I just don't want to put all my problems on you. I'm sure you have better things to do." I tried.

Ms. Harper gave me a sincere look. "Brianna. When I'm here, I stack books, check them out, and that's all. When you're here, I actually have someone to talk to other than my very dull husband who talks about baseball all the time."

"You have kids."

"Kids who rarely visit me once in a blue moon." she argued, raising an eyebrow at me. "Talk to me."