CHAPTER 1

The watch on her wrist ticked signifying 8:00am as she suppressed a sigh and increased her pace.

'I'm late already', she said to herself.

She got to the bus stop to see a large crowd waiting for commercial buses to their various destinations.

'Oh God, not today!', she lamented to herself out of frustration.

She joined the restless crowd and waited patiently. Every single bus zoming pass them was filled to the brim and she looked at her wristwatch again, it was 17 minutes pass the hour of 8.

'I can't escape being late today', she thought.

"E be like say dem dey fight for town ne o,  that na why motor no dey", a woman beside Fola said to the lady opposite her.

"No be so, na fuel scarcity cause am. Some driver no gree comot and some dey protest, na wetin cause am be that", the lady replied back.

"Na wa o, na where our country dey go so. Wetin we go do now", the woman asked back to the irritation of Fola.

"My sister, na to wait na maybe our luck go shine abi you wan trek go central market?", the lady asked back as two more buses zoomed pass them.

"Ogini, I no fit, na wait we go wait", the woman replied back as she continued chewing on a  kolanut.

A day before, it was announced that the prices of fuel has increased and commercial drivers who were not contented with the hugh increment of fuel refused to go out for their usual activities.

The few that were out decided to take advantage of the situation and started billing their passengers twice the normal fare.

Fola was becoming impatient as she realised it was already half past 8am.

She thought of taking a bike but quickly wave the thoughts away as she remembered her father's word about the high risk of taking a bike on the express road.

Unable to wait anylonger, she started trekking.

'I can't afford to get to work after my madam because I will be in for a serious nagging', she soliloquized while looking for her mobile phone in her bag to give her madam, Mrs B a call.

Just then, a car brushed past her and stopped at a distance.

Fola was oblivious to the presence of the car as she was searching for Mrs B's number on her phone. She saw the number and hurriedly dialled it putting the phone to her ear but the number was unreachable.

As soon as she was close to the car, a guy came out leaning on the bonnet of the car and said: "Hello" catching her unawares.

"Hi", she replied and walked past the car to continue her journey.

"Come on dear", the strange guy said sauntering to her side and continued "Let me give you a ride. I can see there are no available commercial buses at the moment. I mean no harm whatsoever, I just want to help a friend in need."

Fola stopped walking and looked back at him. She noticed he was a very young guy and he looked sincere. Not willing to let go of her pride, she replied: "I am sorry to disappoint you sir but I don't accept free rides from strangers. I like to pay for services rendered to me."

She was about to continue her journey when he replied her. "You seems to be in a hurry, that's why I am offering to help. Just tell me where you are headed to and I will drop you there. If you insist on paying, you can pay me when we get there. Are you ok with that?"

His persistence was getting on her nerves. "Even with that sir, I........."

"Come on", he interrupted. "Don't be stubborn, I mean no harm young lady. I am neither a kidnapper nor an assassin."

"Your face won't betray you if you are one", she retorted with hands akimbo.

"What?", he questioned not comprehending what she meant.

"I mean if you are a kidnapper or an assassin, it won't show on your face or would it?", she repeated.

He got the message and smilled. "Where are you heading to?"

"Kurmin Mashi."

He nodded. "That's my way, I work at Governor's road", he muttered and remained silent. Fola was also silent too before he spoke up again with impatience. "Are you coming with me or not? I'm beginning to get late for work."

Fola stood helplessly and was confused on what to do. 'If I let him go, I will have to trek all the way to work. I think I will just have to trust this man. Besides, he doesn't look like someone who bites' she thought to herself.

She muttered some prayers to herself before walking towards the car. They both entered the car and zoomed off.

There was complete silence as he drove before he broke the silence with " May I know your name Miss?"

"Me?", She asked back pretending not to know the question was directed to her.

The young man looked up at her and obviously amused at her question, he replied "Yes."

"Oh.... I don't have a name", Fola said unsmillingly.

He frowned, "You don't have a name? How is that even possible?. "Ok what do people call you then or perhaps what do you want me to call you? You don't expect me to continue calling you 'Miss' do you?"

"I don't mind sir."

'What a strange girl', he thought to himself. "Like I said earlier, I mean no harm. I can see you are finding it different to interact with me. I just want to know your name, that's all", he said with all seriousness.

Fola looked at him and saw he was serious. "I am Zahara", she blurted out and was surprised to see him smiling. 'What a strange man, this man is beginning to scare me. Oh Lord, let me arrive at my destination safely.'

"Wao, what a beautiful name for a beautiful lady. Well...my name is Olamide so may I know more about you? Like what you do, where you stay, your favorite food amongst others", he said trying to overtake a car in front of him. They were now on the express road.

"I thought you said you only want to know my name?"

"Yes, I did but it won't be bad to know more about you", he said grinning

"Actually I am an aspirant....."

"Oh really? You are a small girl then", he cut her short and smilled sinisterly which Fola found annoying. "Go on please", he continued.

"That's all you need to know sir", she said angrily. They were almost close to Kurmin Mashi junction.

"But why?", he asked surprised at the sudden change in behavior.

"Because I wish to keep them anonymous", she looked at him provokingly.

"Please drop me here", she continued dipping her hand inside her bag to pay him like they agreed.

Olamide was enraged and he kept mute as he slowed down.

When he stopped the car, Fola stretched a #200 note at him which he refused to take from her.

"Miss, I asked those questions because I feel we should become friends but since you don't want my friendship, then so be it. As for the money, I don't need it so goodbye and take care", he blurted out and looked away waiting for her to go out.

Fola nodded guiltily and alighted from his car. Immediately she alighted, he drove off without sparing her a glance.

*.......…...........*
Chapter 1 and 2 is meant to give you an insight on who Fola really is but the chapter 1 is very long so I had to split it into 2.

Therefore, in chapter 1 and 3, you will get to know about Fola's personality while chapter 2 is a continuation of chapter 1. I will drop the chapter 2 tomorrow by God's grace.

Dear readers, show me some love by reading till the end, voting and commenting. Love you all and God bless!