CHAPTER 10

It was the end of the academic session and Fola finally went home.

Her father was absent when she got she home and her mother used the opportunity to talk to her on how to conduct herself when he comes back.

When her father came back, they hugged and teased each other.

Two days later, Fola met her father in the sitting room reading a newspaper and she began, "Daddy, I missed you so much while in school", and her father smilled.

"I missed you too but you refused to come home despite my insistence."

"Dad, I did that because of my academics so I won't be distracted", she replied.

"I trust my daughter. She doesn't joke with her studies", her father told her proudly.

"Daddy, there is something I want us to talk about", she diverted.

"I'm all ears", he replied without raising his head.

"First of all, I want to ask a question", she remarked.

"Ok?"

"Daddy, did you take any money from Olamide's father for my upkeep in school?", she asked in a polite way.

Her father looked up from the newspaper and dropped his glasses. He folded his arm over his chest and said: "I thought you said you don't need it, why then are you asking now?"

"I just want to know", she responded.

"Oh! Yes I did. He usually sends #50,000 every month. My ATM is in my drawer incase you need the money.... I did not touch it", he commented.

"Why dad?", Fola asked putting her hands on her forehead.

Misinterpreting her question, he responded: "I did not touch it because I was keep it for your future or probably when you realise......"

"Daddy, why did you take the money from him?", she interrupted.

"Why do you keep asking me that? Please let me be, I have no time for your nonsense", he said and picked up his glasses and newspaper to continue reading.

"My father has succeded in selling me off. Dad, you told me the other day that I am priceless, didn't you? Why then are you making me look cheap to Olamide and his father. Daddy, you are not just selling me, you are also selling your dignity, my pride and my future as well as your own ego", Mr Obed looked up at his daughter and saw tears in her eyes. "My life is shattered."

"Fola, don't say that", he said apologetic.

"Daddy it's the truth, I don't have a future any longer. My dreams and vision will be unachievable the moment I marry that boy", she said sobbing.

"Fola, why can't you understand me for once?"

"Daddy, I now believe the fact that I am an unwanted child. If that is not the case, you wouldn't want to sell me off just so you can have an heir", she blurted furiously.

"Fola.........."

"Daddy", she said trying to calm herself down. "I am not going to school again so please return the money", she finished and fled to her room.

Mr Obed followed and met his daughter weeping.

"Fola, I am not doing this because I want Olamide to be my heir. The fact still remains that I didn't birth him. You are my only child and you will always be, nothing will change that. Fola, please don't stop your education, not at this level. You are our only hope, your mother and I are relaying on you to put an end to our sufferings", he pleaded.