CHAPTER 23

Femi brought his phone out to see the several missed calls from Bolu.

He called her back and she picked at the first ring.

"Hello Femi, what happened? I have been calling you all day. What happened?", she inquired.

"We are on our way to the hospital", he said coolly trying to control the tears spilling from his eyes.

"Hospital? Are you not supposed to be coming back here. We are awaiting your arrival with Fola and Iremide", she said but was met with silence. "Femi... Are you crying?" Femi, what happened?", she asked with agitation.

"They were shot", he said and gave up trying to control the tears.

"What? No!", Bolu exclaimed and bursted into tears.

"Stop crying", he consoled. "Don't tell them what happened yet. Just drive the two of them down here."

"Okay", she calmed down.

Femi dropped the call and threw his phone on the seat beside him where Fola was laying.

They were in his car and knowing fully well he won't be able to drive in his state of mind, he gave the car keys to one of the police officer.

Iremide was in the seat beside the driver while Fola was laid at the back seat near Femi. Her head was on his lap.

Before the call, he tried to resuscitate her by applying pressure to her chest and calling her name but it was all in vain.

He stared at Fola's lifeless face again and at the blood gushing out from her back wetting the car seat and he wept silently.

***********************

Mr. Obed was mad at his wife. He hates it when people around him don't act smart and behave foolishly.

He went straight home after leaving Mrs. Balogun's house.

"The stupid woman didn't even say anything about it", he mummured on his way home referring to Mrs. Balogun.

He got home to meet an empty house just like he left it. The place was cold all of a sudden and he stood up to go to the kitchen to fix himself a meal when his stomach grumbled.

Then, he remembered his daughter was still no where to be found, he lost his appetite and went back to the sitting room.

He heaved a deep sign and rested his jaws on his hand.

"Where could they be now? Why is it taking them so long to return?", he asked himself with worry.

Just then, he remembered the conversation he had with Mr. Garba and the remark he made about taking care of Iremide.

"Could it be he knows about the kidnap?", he asked himself as he sat upright.

He stood up sharply and removed the keys to his car from his pocket and ran all the way to his car without locking the front door.

Mr. Obed sped to Mr. Garba's home which was some distance away. He was lucky to meet Mr. Garba on his way out.

"My friend, where are you rushing to?", Mr. Garba asked Mr. Obed who rushed into the mansion.

"I'm here to see you", he answered.

"I went to your place earlier but you were not around."

He remarked: "I'm just here to clarify some things."

"What is so serious that you can't even come in to have a seat?", Mr Garba questioned.

"You said something the other day during one of our conversations....", Mr Obed started.