CHAPTER 19

"My father has had enough rest", Olamide said going toward his father's room.

Mr. Garba's plane landed in Nigeria at the early hours of the day and Olamide felt he needed rest before he could voice out what has been troubling him.

He turned the doorknob of his father's bedroom and ventured inside only to see it empty. 'Where could he be?', he asked himself.

He went out of the room and checked the sitting room which was also empty. He was about to go outside when he bumped into Bisi, the cook.

"Bisi how far, do you know where my dad is?", he asked.

"He is at the balcony. I went to give him a glass of fruit juice now", she replied politely.

"Ok, thanks", he told her and strolled out.

His father was going through some files with a glass of juice on a small stool in front of him.

"Dad", he called.

"Yes", his father answered looking up.

"I have been looking all around for you."

"Yes. I came here to get some fresh air. What's the matter? You look worried", his father remarked.

"Dad, I have been meaning to discuss something with you even before your unexpected trip but I haven't been able to summon up the courage to do that."

His father chuckled and said: "You are a man. You should be courageous at all times. Tell me what it is."

Olamide cleared his throat with the hope that it will build up the boldness to tell his father what the problem is.

He said: "The thing is I made a mistake... I... I never knew it will turn out this way. I'm sorry I couldn't help it."

"Stop stammering like a fool and tell me what it is", his father said with an angry tone.

"Rachel..", he voiced out.

"What happened to her?", his father asked with impatience.

"She is pregnant for me. I'm sorry."

"What?!", Mr. Garba exclaimed. Then he gave Olamide a resounding slap.

*************************

Mrs. Obed had to force her daughter to go home despite the protest from Fola.

She left for home very late while the others including Femi and one other police officer, waited for the kidnapper's call throughout the night which never came.

Mrs. Balogun was tired of crying. The tears were no longer coming and her eyes were still red and puffy.

The next day, Fola woke up late and quickly cooked breakfast for her father before dashing off to the bathroom to take her bath. By the time she was done taking her bath, it was already 12 p.m and she was the only one in the house.

She guessed her father had gone to work. She wondered why her father didn't complain about her mother's absence and for her own late home coming the previous day.

She guessed he was changing or probably too busy to drag words with any of them.

Fola was still dressing up to go to Malali when she received a call from Femi.

"Femi, what happened?", she asked alarmed.

"Nothing happened. Why aren't you here yet?", he asked her.

"I woke up late. I will be there soon", she answered.

"Your friend is back and is also here. She came down here after dropping Biodun hoping to see you here so you better come quick before she comes there to drag you down here", he chuckled and whispered, "You know how crazy she can be."