3: Harry Fake Befriends Draco

Harry's perspective

Harry woke up feeling a hug tightening around him. He remembered he had agreed to bunk with Draco. Harry was glad he could sleep properly instead of on the floor. The rumours about Slytherins being mean were untrue after all and that weighed less on Harry's conscience.

"Hey", Harry attempted to whisper so that the other boys didn't wake up.

"Malfoy?" He said after waiting a minute, all the time feeling scared that someone else would wake up and see him being spooned by Draco. He managed to turn around in bed. Facing Draco he could now see his usually perfect white blonde hair was a bit scruffy. He tapped him and Draco smiled. Next, he tried to pry his arms off him. Instead they tightened and Harry felt suffocated.

Oh no, he thought as he felt his heart stammering against his chest. Identifying the feeling, he yanked Draco's arms away.

He dressed for class although everyone else was either still asleep or only barely shifting in their sleep.

"What are you doing there?" Draco's rough morning voice asked. Too embarrassed Harry hid his face and said, "woke up early. I'm going for breakfast now."
Harry left the dorms and waited outside the Gryffindor's common room at a safe distance. Ron came out and they compared timetables. They would have potions class together in the first period. Ron admitted he found it weird to sit together because usually different houses were asked to separate in different rows. The two agreed to meet up on breaks.

They went to their respective tables and Draco shifted the chair next to Harry's so he could sit next to him. He grinned and Harry smiled back. They were both smiling and chatting. But the atmosphere between the two of them was tense. Harry was still angry about the way he had talked to Ron and disturbed by how he thought he was better than others because he had 'pure blood'. Imagine thinking that boy was cute for a few seconds. Judging by appearances was definitely not the way to go, now that he knew what Draco really was like.

Harry also hated the memory of sleeping next to him that was flashing in his head. He felt guilty and slightly embarrassed. How could he even for one second forget that Draco was a brat?

"Potter, any reason for being quiet? Or are you normally like this?"

"Just impressed by magic. I've only ever experienced it a little bit when I was younger. I wasn't raised with it."

Harry lied but could not look Draco directly in the eye at first.

"Even though I've grown up with magic, the way it is in Hogwarts is impressive even to me. How do you think you'll find our first potions lesson? I am looking forward to it."

"I don't know what to expect. I didn't have time to read through my books."

"Well that's okay. You're not a ravenclaw so you won't usually get picked on. If you need help just pat me on the thigh and I'll whisper it all to you. I used to read a bit at home when it got boring. There's only so much Quidditch and Wizard's Chess can do to help pass off time. You haven't heard of either, I suppose?"

"No, neither."
Class started and Draco naturally sat next to Harry with Crabbe and Goyle also sitting on the same row.

"This is going to be my favourite class, Potter. I can feel it."
Draco smiled sweetly at Harry. Harry had a queasy feeling as it happened. Even though Draco appeared to be kinder than before, Harry felt his wariness about him only increasing.

"...Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not...pay...attention."

Harry looked up quickly, "sorry Professor Snape."

"Instead of spending my entire lesson gazing at your friend Malfoy, I hope you focus on what I say so that you come in next lesson a bit prepared," said Snape in a drawling voice. Harry met eyes with Ron's who was full of concern and sympathy. Snape stared at Harry. After an awkward silence, Harry pointed at Draco, "I was going to tell him there was something on his face."

Harry quickly acted like he was brushing something off Draco's face. If Draco made him feel cautious, Snape scared him a lot. He had expected Snape to be at least a little nice to him since he was in the same house as him.

Draco, luckily, understood what was happening. He looked at the imaginary thing on Harry's hand,

"Thanks for taking that thing off me, Potter."
At the end of potions class, Snape approached Harry,

"Potter, I've noticed you are more confused about magic then everyone else. No doubt that the Dursleys are held responsible for that. From now on, I expect you to pay more attention to the front and if you're struggling to deal with everything and for that you keep looking at your books instead, I suggest that you read about the lessons before you come to class. Don't think that everything will come naturally to you just because you're a Potter. Not even you are expected to know everything without properly focusing, and if you need help, come to me."

Harry was confused on how to respond. He had not expected such a conflicting talk with Snape.

"Thank you," he said simply. He looked over at Draco to see what his reaction to that was. He was hard to read at the moment.

"I plan on paying more attention next lesson, Professor. I'm sorry about today."

"Who are the Dursleys?" Goyle asked. Crabbe and Draco walked closer to Harry, also curious.

"They're my mum's sister's side of the family."

"They're filthy muggles, aren't they?"

"You...have an aversion towards all muggles?"

"I despise them. Never associate yourself with any of them."

"Well, the Dursleys are terrible people, but I don't think I could apply that to every muggle."

Draco scrunched his nose in distaste. The other boys exchanged looks with each other.

"Well, Potter. There's a few things you should keep in mind, and it'll do you good. Stay away from muggles, they have no class. Stay away from mudbloods, they're tainted. Stay away from Gryffindors. And of course, stay away from Weasleys."

Harry looked up following Draco's eyes. Harry grinned at Ron who was approaching him. He saw the death look Ron was giving Draco, and walked away from him, only to be followed anyway.

"Are you coming with? My brothers want to talk to you, they've been betting about which one of their potions work better."

"Are you going to be hanging out with the Weasleys?" Draco asked critically. Harry gritted his teeth.

"Hanging out with you is not more ideal. You keep discriminating between people's blood as if a person's blood defines their personality. With that logic I have reason to believe all Malfoys are arseholes."

"If you think you know the first thing about the Malfoys you're very wrong, Potter. You know what, I'll follow you. I can't wait to see the Weasleys test out their demented potions."

"My brothers know their potions," Ron replied with a glare.

"You saying that just makes me more curious about seeing it proven."