22: The Kiss

Draco's perspective

Draco missed being around Harry.

They had to act like they were expected to in this world. Harry came to sit next to Draco like he usually did, and people gave him such weirded out looks. Draco noticed this and told Harry to sit elsewhere, embarrassed from the stares he got.

There was a spot next to the Weasley boy. Draco kept looking back to glare at Ron, well actually he didn't try to glare on purpose since he knew better than to start a fight in the wrong universe, but the glare came so naturally.

They still did not know the reason why they ended up in this universe, nor why the Time Turner would not work at all.

Harry was agitated about being stuck in the wrong universe. He skipped classes and made Draco skip classes with him so that they would have time for themselves to figure out the Time Turner enigma. Harry kept saying that the quicker they got things done, the less it mattered for them to follow any of the rules.

Draco shared that sentiment to quite a degree, but felt the watchful gaze of the Slytherins on him more closely. He was more afraid and hence more cautious. He started to avoid meeting Harry in public to not get caught with him.

Draco liked spending time with Harry. He finally could spend time alone with him when they hid away from everyone else.

One time, Draco got so close that he nearly admitted his feelings. Thank goodness he didn't, he thought, because of how cheesy his prepared speech sounded. He just pecked Harry on the cheek. Harry walked off without a word.

Harry is now less talkative with him. It was just a peck though, right??

Harry did not look him as they read the books.

Draco mustered his courage.

"Did you feel weird about my kiss?"

Harry nodded.

Draco's heart felt like it was sinking and like a gap in his chest was widening.

Draco felt his eyes tear up. He did not expect his eyes to tear up. Draco was so embarrassed, and he put his face in his hands.

Draco decided in his head that he would not do anything spontaneous like that. He realised that Harry was not like him, that not everyone was like him, and that was something which he constantly forgot. When he was small he had a fight with his cousin Tonks and he said it was not possible to have a crush on girls, because he thought that the only reason people were with girls was when 'they had a crush on them first'. Tonks laughed at him and teased him and called him 'a little dumb boy' which made him mortified and so upset. But nothing could beat how upset he felt right now.

"Dray, are you alright, you became so quiet," said Harry, "It's not your fault, it's just that I've never been kissed before. I know you meant well, but it's such a clumsy and unsettling thing to feel all of a sudden. Maybe if I was prepared it would be different."

Draco felt like stones had been lifted off his chest. So it wasn't because he was feeling uncomfortable about him, he just did not feel comfortable being kissed randomly.

Innocently, Draco asked, "do you like girls?"

"What do you mean?"

"Have you ever had a crush on a girl?"

"I did once. Why?"

"I haven't."

Harry shrugged, "okay but why are you telling me this now?"