10: The Fat Friar Ships It

Draco

Draco finished his after class work and pulled out some spare parchment. He wrote a long winded letter about the troll and what he suspected of it. Of course, he didn't mention himself sneaking out after hours. Dumbledore was not being a very careful headmaster if he allowed a troll into the castle. He dug his quill into the ink pot with frustration.

Continuing to address his father, Lucius Malfoy, he went on about how they were sent to their common rooms. That was where it was actually more likely they would be attacked by trolls, especially Slytherins like himself whose Common Room was in the dungeons. He left out any mention about Harry Potter, though. He was uncertain on how his father would react if he knew they were somewhat close.

Christmas time was coming. Draco was passing his time with attempting a knitting spell so that he could wear. Harry impassively passed him some more green wool and they faced each other. A buzzing sound filled the room that they both could hear, although the buzzing sounds were different and in their own ears.

The spot where Harry had been sitting, was it ten minutes later or longer? , was now empty. Draco folded his green scarf around his neck and exited the Common Room.

The Professors cast protection spells all around Hogwarts and kept checking that the spells were working as they went down the corridors. Cheerful sounds came from the Great Hall.

Draco's jaw clenched when he saw the know-it-all Granger girl with Harry under the mistletoe decorations.

"Turn that frown upside down," said a merry voice.

It was the Fat Friar, the Hufflepuff Ghost. Secretly, all the students including the Slytherins loved Fat Friar.

"I'm fine. Just trying to figure out Potter's sexuality."

"I think you should focus on figuring out yours first," The Fat Friar chuckled.

"Thanks. Very sarcastic indeed. Obviously I have a crush on the girl, since I'm straight. Just on edge on whether Potter is asking her out, or else I lose my chance."

He gritted his teeth through saying this.

"You have a crush on a Gryffindor girl? That's believable. Haven't you been saying all year now that Gryffindors are scum, and that muggleborns are tainted?"

"I'll be heading to my dorm now. It's not as if I'm going to stay here for Christmas."

Draco sagged into his bed and making sure Crabbe and Goyle weren't in the room, he cast a spell on the object in his pocket. He gazed at it with a bittersweet smile forming on his face.

He felt the engraving of the mirror with his finger.

What was erised, he wondered. He didn't really bother to check the library for information. He was more enthralled by what the mirror showed him.

Every time he checked the mirror, it changed a little bit. Every time gave him a new hope but he was unable to settle on a single theory on what the mirror did. He was afraid of asking questions about it otherwise he might be caught with something that could belong to someone else. He had rarely felt the same guilt with the other treasures he took.

He saw a mistletoe above the image of himself and Harry. That mistletoe was not there from before. Not knowing the meaning of these images frustrated him so much.

Just as he was falling asleep, a shuffling sound scared him to sit up. It was so low and yet so misplaced. He packed his mirror and made a light come from his mind.

The room filled with an ambience that made him feel lonely and cold. His wand brightened even as he tried to extinguish it. He clenched his hand to try to have a firmer handle on his wand, but still the light extended and blinded him.

He felt his panic rising and his heart thumped against his chest as he tried to understand from where the light was coming from. He could hear other shadowy sounds that shrieked at him.
He heard footsteps stagger towards him.

"Draco?" he heard.

Harry clicked on the room's lightbulb.

Draco at seeing Harry wanted nothing but a hug now and to be held really tightly. He looked up at Harry sadly like a puppy. He let Harry look him all over.
Harry finally came close and slowly reached towards Draco's forehead. He seemed to check if Draco was having a fever. Draco felt comfort at the contact and though it lasted seconds, he felt the rest of his body become calm and still.

"Draco, it's just me. Why do you have your wand out?"

"I heard a voice. It said-"

"What did it say?"

"Nothing. Ignore me, I got scared of the dark."

"Fine," said Harry, and pulled a book out to read.

"What are you reading?"

"Nothing important."

Draco felt offended but now wasn't the time to talk. He turned over pursing his lips to prevent himself from saying anything he would regret. The mirror dug into his sides as a reminder that it didn't belong there.