17: Busted

Draco

Draco found a loose grip encompassing him. He peeked up. There was a shirt, a neck and finally Harry Potter's face. Harry was staring at him motionlessly and they met eyes for an enchanted moment.

"How are you so bony?" Draco blurted out.

"I don't eat much," said Harry simply.

"Why not?"

"I'm not used to it. I've never been used to it."

"Well yeah."

Draco wondered if he should let it drop just like every other time.

"Why do you live in a cupboard under the stairs?"

"How did you know that's my address?" asked Harry.

"Your address?" Draco said, "That's ridiculous, no wizards live in cupboards under stairs. Don't muggles have bedrooms?"

"Well, yes, but I don't."

Harry reluctantly told him about his living at Number 4 Pivet Drive, how he had to live in a tiny cupboard and that he was never allowed to eat with the Dursleys because he could only eat after they were finished. He was not allowed to eat certain things from the fridge as well.

"They treat you like a house-elf!" said Draco incredulously.

"A what?"

"You know, like an elf that does house chores."

"Right."

Dark strangly hair that Draco grew to love floated over Harry's forehead, covering his scar.

Draco sat up, "I better leave before Madam Pomfrey makes me leave. I actually was meant to leave yesterday. She keeps saying I complain too much."

"See you then."

Draco paused.

"Have you ever seen Dumbledore angry?"

Harry shook his head.

"Me neither."

But Draco still looked nervous as he left.

Draco saw footsteps and saw the Weasel Bee heading towards the infirmary.

"Everyone knows about the pathetic thing you've done."

Draco felt dread as he became defensive.

"If you're talking about a certain 'connection' that I have with the Dark Lord, then I wouldn't have thought that as stupid as you are that you would believe that."

Ron's mouth dropped, "No... that's not what I'm talking about. That sounds silly, why would anyone believe that, he's not even here."

Ron seemed newly suspicious at least that's what Draco felt. The moment seemed to be like an eternity as Draco swallowed and said,

"What if he was?"

Ron's eyes widened.

"What did you mean then, Weaselbee?"

"About the mirror. Everyone is talking about how you stole a mirror. And," Ron smirked, "that your greatest deepest desire is Harry Potter."

Ron hurried off before Draco could respond.

Draco came face to face with one of the Weasley twins when they looked up, having picked up an item from the floor. Draco couldn't help but smugly mention, "I have seven of those."

"We have eight," they say.

"Whatever. It's only Nicolas Flamel," said Draco annoyed, "I have three thousand altogether."

"We don't have that much, do we, George?"

"It's okay, Fred. It's not a competition or anything."

As they turned around, Draco swiped the card out of one of the twins' pockets. He slinked it into his own pocket and entered Dumbledore's office.

"Leave your wand on my desk."

Draco put it there. Immediately a contraption took a hold of it and sucked it into the wood.

"Please, have a seat."

Draco felt like he was sinking into the chair from how soft and big it was.

"Theft is a serious issue in this school and I hope you understand the moral dilemma we have here. Because you are a student at this school, and the item did not leave school grounds, you haven't done anything technically illegal. I believe the punishment of a curse is enough. Well, usually".

"What curse?"

"The nightmares."

Draco shivered at remembering them.

"The professors and I have decided an alternative punishment to the usual trip to the Forbidden Forest that first years would receive. This alternative isn't really a punishment if you are a positive person."

"You're going to lock me in a room with a Dementor?" asked Draco paling.

"Why ever would we do that, my boy?" asked Dumbledore with a squint of his eyes.

"A boggart then?"

Dumbledore rolled his eyes and fixed his half moon shaped glasses, "Of course a Malfoy would be exposed to such things. And I suppose you already know how to defeat a boggart anyhow."

"I'm alright," admitted Draco, "but how did you know?"

"It surprises me as much as anyone, but it seems that Slytherins are the quickest after Gryffindors to learn how to defeat a boggart. It's almost like their inner self is screaming at them to not want to face their fears no matter what."

Draco felt his heart speed up. So that truly was his punishment, he thought, as Dumbledore reached his hand towards a wardrobe knob.

"Have a cup of water, my boy. There is no boggart in here, only some trophies. This one your father won. I came in second place when it was a competition in my days. Actually, your father was the last to be awarded Most Ambitious in the history of Hogwarts. The prize for that title was contested in unhealthy ways. It's really just part of Hogwarts history and culture, it seems, that every competition ends badly. I believe a contestant died that year and seven got permanently hexed. Anyhow, this cupboard is filled with all the cursed trophies and medallions, so I guess a little fear around it opening is normal."

"Will I be punished?"

"Yes. You chose your punishment it seems. We tend to punish a student by what is deemed suitable to them. And reward them the same way. In this case, I don't know anything more perfect than a boggart. When was the last time you've been near one unarmed?"

Draco remembered he didn't have his wand on him. He shivered.

"You do have an alternative option though."

"What is the option?"

"Instead, you can empty out your pockets in front of your classmates in the Great Hall."

Draco reddened and he felt the Chocolate Frog card in his pocket. How had Dumbledore known?

"I'll do the boggart thing," Draco muttered.