7: Mirror of Erised

Harry's perspective

Harry followed Draco down the hallway and they came in front of a blank wall.

"It was here last time," Draco whispered, "now we have to think about what we're looking for and it'll open up for us. It has to be something you really need. Last time, I had wanted some ingredients for a potion that was in low stock in the potions room. That's exactly what I found. Along with a bunch of stored items. Hundreds of dusty books. Just wish for anything and I assume you get that along with the other items. Then start pacing back and forth and the door will open."

"And if it doesn't work?"

"If it doesn't work then it doesn't matter and we'll find it another time. The problem is if we can't make it back to the common room in time."

"I'm hoping it does."

They started pacing in opposite directions. Harry kept eying the wall curiously.

"Look at that."

"Malfoy it really worked!"

They hurried to the open space, bumping into each other.

"You first," Harry said.

Harry tried to peek at whatever Draco pocketed from the room. He saw a second object on a table and read the label.

"You needed an invisibility potion? I can't blame you, but is that all?"

"It'll help us when we leave. Where is the mirror you were talking about?"

Harry though was quickly distracted by a pair of antlers that looked in fine shape considering how long it could have been there. The books though were not as lucky. They had webs sticking them together.

He looked to see massive statues and came closer. They resembled something familiar.

"Chess pieces," said Draco.

"As in, like wizard's chess?"

"Exactly that. Well, Potter. What did I say? Here's the exact mirror I was talking about."

They approached it together. Harry paused just behind Draco.

"Well, you're here. I'm here as well. What do you know? It's a portrait of you that is also a mirror."
Intrigued Harry stood next to Draco.

"A portrait? It's not just a mirror?"

"How could it be if I can see you in it without you being there?"

"Malfoy, but I am standing right here."

"I mean from before," said Draco frustrated, "even if you step aside I can still see you in it. You're not wearing your robes so it's not a mirror image."

"Let me see now. Step to the side and I'll check if I can see you in the mirror."
Harry looked at the mirror. Two figures appeared next to him. He recognised his parents and was surprised.

"Do you think this is telling us something? Something about our past?"

"...Potter?"

"Or do you think it might be showing us a vision of an alternate world. One where we have a caring family?"

"Potter, what exactly do you see?"

"I see my parents, Malfoy. Do you see them too?"

"No, I don't see them. I don't get it. How are we seeing different things in the mirror? Whether you stand here or not, I can see the two of us. We're smiling and wearing...well..."

"What are we doing?"

"Well for starters," Draco said looking confused, "I'm wearing something different to what I'm wearing right now. And so are you. And what's odd is that we're wearing matching rings on our ring fingers?"

"We're married?" Harry chuckled dismissively.

"I'm just telling you what I see, Potter."

"It doesn't matter now. Let's have the invisibility potion and get out from here."