9: Troll In The Dungeons

Harry

They took their seats and started breakfast. Draco's eagle owl flew in, carrying a package of his usual sweets from home.

Draco unsealed the package and took out a bag. Harry smiled at his delighted look as usual. Draco adored his mother who always sent him small gifts and especially food like now. Draco also looked up to his father quite a lot, always mentioning him and talking about his job.

"Take some for yourself, Potter," said Draco, pushing a container into his hand.

"Thanks-"

Everyone's attention was taken by Quirrel rushing into the Hall.

"Troll in the dungeon!"

When he fainted, Harry felt a strong dizzy feeling. Looking around, he wasn't the only one. He felt Draco's hand cling to his and they shared horrified expressions.

Draco clung to Harry's arm tightly but Harry did not say anything about how it was hurting his arm.

"Trolls are extremely aggressive. They bash anything that moves in front of them."

"How do you think one got in?"

"No idea. So much for the top security of Hogwarts. My father will hear about this."

"I don't think it's Professor Dumbledore's fault. Remember how last night we saw Snape and Quirrel fighting. I have a bad feeling about that. Quirrel didn't seem anxious and stuttering like he usually is. And Snape seemed more terrifying than usual."

"I don't think Snape let the troll in," said Draco. At the same time as Harry said, "Well, who let the troll in?"

"Listen, Potter. Snape would definitely not let the troll in."

Ravin overheard them and approached them with a grim look on his face.

"Harry, I hope you're not accusing Snape of letting in the troll," called Ravin, who wasn't smiling like he usually was, "We've all been on his bad side, but accusing him of something like this because of a detention, or whatever, is a very serious thing. And quite immature. Unless you have a reason for that suspicion?"

"I'm not trying to suspect him...I just had a bad feeling all of a sudden. Just a feeling."

"Potter, come here," Draco pulled Harry's arm urgently to a corner of the room. He glanced around furtively, "we can't let anyone know that we went out after hours. So we shouldn't tell them about what we saw between Snape and Quirrel."

"Snape accused Quirrel of being at the clock tower performing dark magic. He also accused him of going out into the Forbidden Forest every night which he found suspicious."

Draco listened silently.

"If we can trust Snape, we can't trust Quirrel. Do you think he's after something? Like, trying to steal...something?"

"What would he want to steal?"

"It doesn't matter. Snape said that he won't let Quirrel have the thing, and that he'll keep his eyes on him."

"Well, those are weak links. I don't trust Quirrel but I don't think he'll release a troll to steal one of Snape's things. What does he want, a potion? He could just, you know, do reducio or a disillusionment spell."

"Reducio..." said Harry thoughtfully, "what if he used that spell on the troll to get it in? Or is that too difficult?"

"On a troll, I think it will be quite difficult. On objects it's much simpler. I really struggled to learn it. But it's worth it. Much easier that way to store large magical items."

He patted his pocket.

"Thanks for listening anyways. I was having a few speculations, but it's probably just a thought."
Harry went to his bed and crouched on it. He pondered over the suspicious way Hagrid had been acting. The way Draco had patted his pocket had reminded him of the way Hagrid had.

Could it be that the mysterious object that Hagrid had gotten from Gringotts had anything to do with what Snape and Quirrel were arguing about?